Cleaning the decks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djam

Reaction score
Hey, normally I use boat soap to wash down my deck, but sometimes it doesn't get it done or takes a lot of scrubbing to get the blood up. My buddy recommended bleach, which makes the deck look awesome. Any downside to using bleach to clean the deck and gunnels?

Dave

You're exactly right, bleach does work wonders but it also strips the wax from your gel coat. If you don't care about the wax being removed and not having the protective qualities it provides, or if you don't mind waxing your surfaces afterwards it won't hurt a thing. Personally I do use bleach, but I only use it when necessary. Usually I will bleach the whole boat in the spring once it comes out of hibernation to remove the "winter funk" but then I'll wax it shortly after also. If your gel coat is left unprotected it will soon become faded and chalky from the sun.

Use Starbrite Deck Cleaner. Wet the deck. Sprinkle just a few spots around deck and move it around with deck brush. Wait a few minutes and give it a light scrub. Everything lifts off with zero effort. This stuff is amazing. I get a gallon on Amazon Prime for $26 and last a long time. Here you go.

Star brite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF 1 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C6HOI/re ... ZBbKGWZEZ5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do what Wet Willie does.

Bleach products while cheap and very effective can make the gelcoat a little porous if you don't put some protective wax or PTFE on it afterwards.

Clorox Clean-up product works well.

Bleach in the wash water won't hurt a thing, especially on the deck.
Scrub, let sit, rinse, and let the sun do the rest.

Back