Clogged live well

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-j

Reaction score
Hey guys, I lent my boat to a buddy last weekend and now my drain to the live well is pretty well clogged up. I think when he drained it a small squid (don't ask) that was in the well got down there. I have a 23DVCC with the set up where the live well is what the leaning post/seat posts are on.

My question is...is it a pretty straight shot where I can put a plumber's snake through it, or are there mysterious twists and turns to worry about. Going out to the boat tonight to rectify!

Thanks!

I bet there's an elbow in there somewhere, how backflush with a hose? Try low power 1st, easier to add water power ...

Tried the backflush with no success. Yes I expect a 90 degree elbow, but was more concerned about loops and such.

If you let it alone for a week or two that squid will rot away and drain problem will be solved. Sadly during this process it will stink like nothing you have ever smelled. Before I gave up and let it rot I would really put some water through it.

Cleared it out tonight. Took a plumber's snake and gently fed it through. Second time I felt pressure and pushed a bit. Then the water I put into the well started draining normally.

BTW, the drain has one 90 degree bend right at the drain, and then it is straight to the transom. No issues. Gotta love simplicity!

I had the same issue with a little mackerel swimming down the drain. I now always place my bait net over the drain hole when draining the well.
You might want to check the flapper stopper where the well drains out of the back, underneath the platform to make sure it is still in place.

Yes. I do the same with the bait net. As said. I lent my boat and my buddy did not do this.

Back