Clorox on Deck

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I frequently use Clorox Bleach on the deck to get rid of stains and it works very well. My question is does anyone know if the clorine will have a negative affect on the fiberglass? :?

It has had zero effect on my deck and I use it all the time to keep the 'pit white and bright.

Any residual chlorine will dissipate quickly in the sunshine...

Ive used it for 7 years on my boat and have not seen any negative impact. I love the stuff.

I keep a spray bottle with half Simple Green and half Clorox bleach. The bleach makes the green color disappear, which is wierd, but the combo is killer on keeping things bright (bleach) while getting rid of dirt and grease (Simple Green).

A simpler way to do the same thing, just more expensive, is to buy Clorox Cleanup at your grocery store. Same concept of detergent and bleach mixed together.

Just gotta remember to be very carefuly about mixing certain cleaning chemicals.

Thanks for the reassuring response on using clorox on fiberglass. Now I can sleep at night. :D
Thanks and Tite Lines
SommerTime

I would have no concern over the affect of chlorox (sodium hypochlorite) on fiberglass or gelcoat. Where there could be issues would be affects on metal (hypochlorite is a strong oxidant) and possibly on rubber seals in scuppers or bilge pumps. Has anyone noticed any wear issues in those pieces that could be caused by repeated exposure to chlorox?

J.A. Veil":283gbe1r said:
Has anyone noticed any wear issues in those pieces that could be caused by repeated exposure to chlorox?

None at all... and I used Chlorox and Simple Green liberally in my bilge for the first two years or so.
The previous owner had a trim tab HPU leak that he never tended to, and the bilge was nasty when I bought her.

I don't use bleach. I use boat soap and touch up areas with Spray Nine when necessary. Some people also use Soft Scrub.

All are OK. My note is just to mention that Soft Scrub, bleach, Spray Nine all have sanitizing ingredients. Use them judiciously and let them react as much as possible and then rinse off.

Too much use and they can kill what is directly in the water.

The bleach mentioned is oxidizing the color in the Simple Green.

Dana

"Practical Sailor" says SOFT SCRUB is bad for the gelcoat. The grit cuts thru the gelcoat, which causes the damage.

TonyAmalfitano":2y07ipn3 said:
"Practical Sailor" says SOFT SCRUB is bad for the gelcoat. The grit cuts thru the gelcoat, which causes the damage.

I guess if you really bore down on a single area, that would happen...
I have successfully used Soft Scrub with bleach to remove 'bird dropping damage'. :shock:

Apply it... rub it in... let it sit (so the bleach does its thing), then rinse.
It's good stuff when you need a mild abrasive.

Softscrub has a fiberous (plant material) abrasive, which is ideal for gelcoat and other plastic surfaces. I use it on the shiny gelcoat surfaces all the time. I use Bar Keepers Friend (which is more aggressive) on the non-skid with great results. It has diatomacious earth (e.g., microscopic single-cell animal shells) as its abrasive. Comet contains volcanic "pumice" and will definitely destroy gelcoat.

Back