Coast Guard Auxiliary Boat Inspection

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppem45

Reaction score
I am having my boat inspected by the Coast Guard Auxiliary tomorrow morning and just thought I would post it as a reminder to anyone getting ready to commission or have already commissioned your boat. It is free and is a great way to start the year off knowing you are good to go.

could not agree with you more.
Put the boat in last Saturday and had the inspection on Sunday.
Sort gives a peaceful easy feeling knowing that everything is the way it should be.

Tom

If I may elaborate on B-Faithful's post, it is listed on the CG VSC as a Marpol Trash Placard and also you need to get your Pollution Placard if you are 26' or more. Thanks for bringing that to the attention of the CP members B-Faithful

Yeah, and in RI a 2520 gets titled as a 26' ! :x :x Difference of $20 a year reg AND I have to have a bell! :shock: State didn't change when the Federal requirements did.

HM5":28w6ih7i said:
Yeah, and in RI a 2520 gets titled as a 26' ! :x :x Difference of $20 a year reg AND I have to have a bell! :shock: State didn't change when the Federal requirements did.

RI makes you fix a bell!? That is crazy!

From the Virtual VSC...
http://www.safetyseal.net/what_is_vsc.asp

Item 8 - Sound Producing Devices / Bell:

To comply with Navigation Rules and for distress signaling purposes all boats must carry a sound producing device (whistle, horn, siren, etc.) capable of a 4-second blast audible for ½ mile. *Boats larger than 39.4 ft. are also required to have a bell (see Navigation Rules.)

*Under a recent change, a vessel 12 meters (39.4 ft) to less than 20 meters (65 ft) is no longer required to carry a bell on board.

The Coast Guard said: "The bottom-line, a bell is no longer required on a vessel less than 20 meters in length. That of course means a bell is not required for those same vessels for successful completion of a VSC."

Yeah, it is realy dumb. :? :?

RIGL 46-22-5 e) Every motorboat of Class 2 or 3 shall be provided with an efficient bell.

I carry a 10" stew pot and a metal serving spoon. It makes a bell sound that can be heard at a distance, and it sounds like a bell. DEM Enforcement approves. It also doubles as an alternate dewatering device :lol:

Here is the whole thing FYI
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE46/46-22/46-22-5.HTM

This has been a topic of conversation with the state boating safety guys, Power Squaderon, and Aux inspectors, but no resolution :(

ppem45":1ic2p0lf said:
If I may elaborate on B-Faithful's post, it is listed on the CG VSC as a Marpol Trash Placard and also you need to get your Pollution Placard if you are 26' or more. Thanks for bringing that to the attention of the CP members B-Faithful

I found out myself when I went to get my USCG sticker the other weekend.. My builder tried giving me the pollution placard when I took delivery of my boat and I told them I didnt want to stick it on my boat :oops: :lol: Now I have to get it :roll:

FishFactory":2ze2nrv2 said:
So, what's the fine for not having a pollution sticker? or,

keep the sticker in a cabinet and pull out when stopped. :wink:

You can have the sticker on a tool box and you are covered, so long as the tool box stays on the boat.
Nothing says the sticker has to be stuck to the boat itself.

For a charter boat, we have to have it in prominent location where the crew will see it. That is on a 40'.

I thought the regs were the same for all vessels over 26' but I could be wrong.

Bryan A":2wyvvosu said:
For a charter boat, we have to have it in prominent location where the crew will see it. That is on a 40'.

I thought the regs were the same for all vessels over 26' but I could be wrong.

For an inspected vessel, that would be correct.
Uninspected vessels are show on demand.

At least that was what the inspector told me. :)

Back