Concerned about Parker purchase

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been gone awhile. Anyone find out about the use of raw un-glassed wood?

The underside of my 1989 plywood deck is bare wood, not glassed and slowly failing but that is only an issue for the older models. Is this the type of raw un-glassed wood you are referring to?

I have heard there is still wood in their construction (no confirmation), but that all new boats are glassed as would be expected in new construction. That said there are a ton of old Parker’s out there still working hard. Assume there are others out there with more empirical input/experience? Mike

I recently purchased a 2006 2120 SC . When I had it surveyed it was found that the cockpit deck wood was saturated. The floor felt solid but had micro cracks. The seller replaced the floor. I was surprised that a 14 year old Parker would have this problem.
Hello Parker folks. I have enjoyed the forum and all of its great information for a couple years now. I was very close to finally purchasing my dream boat a few weeks ago. A new (2020) 2120 SC from my local dealer. I took a family member along who has a wealth of knowledge on boats for the company but also for his insight. I understood the lamination schedule and wood encapsulation for Parkers to be of high quality and I was not intimidated by the use of wood in the vessel. However, after taking some under deck pics above the gas tank from through the access, we discovered some raw wood that was not encapsulated along with some nails that apparently had missed their mark. The nails didn't concern me as much as the raw wood. I was upset because I have researched Parker for a few years and fell in love with the brand as well as the boats themselves. I would like your honest thoughts/opinions as to wether or not I should be so concerned or critical of this finding. Is this area of the vessel a wetted area since all of the surrounding wood is encapsulated? Is raw wood common in these boats? I still want to go with Parker but I am concerned with the build quality based on this finding as well as the catastrophe with the crooked one we all know about. I appreciate any thoughts or opinions in advance. I will post pics as soon as I am able to add the attachments.
Hello Parker folks. I have enjoyed the forum and all of its great information for a couple years now. I was very close to finally purchasing my dream boat a few weeks ago. A new (2020) 2120 SC from my local dealer. I took a family member along who has a wealth of knowledge on boats for the company but also for his insight. I understood the lamination schedule and wood encapsulation for Parkers to be of high quality and I was not intimidated by the use of wood in the vessel. However, after taking some under deck pics above the gas tank from through the access, we discovered some raw wood that was not encapsulated along with some nails that apparently had missed their mark. The nails didn't concern me as much as the raw wood. I was upset because I have researched Parker for a few years and fell in love with the brand as well as the boats themselves. I would like your honest thoughts/opinions as to wether or not I should be so concerned or critical of this finding. Is this area of the vessel a wetted area since all of the surrounding wood is encapsulated? Is raw wood common in these boats? I still want to go with Parker but I am concerned with the build quality based on this finding as well as the catastrophe with the crooked one we all know about. I appreciate any thoughts or opinions in advance. I will post pics as soon as I am able to add the attachments.

I just went to the Parker Plant. Saw some non incapsulated wood being used and asked about it , because I remembered this post. The “raw” wood in question , is used to hold some things in place while they install the floor. It’s not part of the wood system. And presents no problem once the floor is in place.

I just went to the Parker Plant. Saw some non incapsulated wood being used and asked about it , because I remembered this post. The “raw” wood in question , is used to hold some things in place while they install the floor. It’s not part of the wood system. And presents no problem once the floor is in place.
Is it removed as the floor goes down or are you saying it is left in place?

Is it removed as the floor goes down or are you saying it is left in place?
It is left in place. It does not make contact with any other wood. All stringer / floor system wood is completely incapsulated first ,

Latest posts

Back