Considering buying a 2520XLD Sport Cabin

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midlife

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking for a boat for next Spring and would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I am considering a new 2520 XLD Sport Cabin. I have not been out in one but am looking for a boat that can handle the choppy waves in the Cape Cod area (especially Buzzards Bay).
The boat will be used for family day trips to Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard, possibly Nantucket as well as fishing.

My wife has 2 main requirements:

1. The boat must able to carry another family of four (8 people total). We have looked at a number of boats in the
23'-25' range and the Parkers were the only ones that seemed to have enough room. The large cockpit area has appeal.
The fact that the boat is simple without alot of "bells and whistles" is OK with both of us.

2. The boat must be dry...which makes the pilot house appealing.

Some questions:
Parker seems to market themselves to fisherman...do many people use this boat for family boating?
Does anyone carry an inflatable above the pilot house?
How will this boat perform with the 21 degree deadrise in choppy water?
How will it perform in a following Sea...coming back from Cuttyhunk on a windy afternoon?
Does anyone have creative ideas for seating people in the cockpit area while the boat is underway...Marine bean bag chairs? Is sitting on a large tied down cooler realistic?
Would the resale value of the boat be less if we opted for the optional open back pilothouse with drop curtains?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Midlife":1psuomi9 said:
Hello,

I have been looking for a boat for next Spring and would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I am considering a new 2520 XLD Sport Cabin. I have not been out in one but am looking for a boat that can handle the choppy waves in the Cape Cod area (especially Buzzards Bay).
The boat will be used for family day trips to Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard, possibly Nantucket as well as fishing.

My wife has 2 main requirements:

1. The boat must able to carry another family of four (8 people total). We have looked at a number of boats in the 23'-25' range and the Parkers were the only ones that seemed to have enough room. The large cockpit area has appeal. The fact that the boat is simple without alot of "bells and whistles" is OK with both of us.

2. The boat must be dry...which makes the pilot house appealing.

Some questions:

Parker seems to market themselves to fisherman...do many people use this boat for family boating?

Absolutely! Other than a deck boat, name any other boat with a ballroom (deck) as large as a Parker. We have had 6 adults in folding camping chairs and two plastic camping tables, 1 12v blender, ice and other adult beverages in the transom box on my boat. And... if someone needed to take a nap, off to the berth they went...

Does anyone carry an inflatable above the pilot house?

Inflatable? Do you mean emergency raft? If so, I carry mine in the cutout in the berth, under the cushions. If you truly meant an inflatable, I have never seen anyone put on the roof. Most tow behind if not running fast.

How will this boat perform with the 21 degree deadrise in choppy water?

Out of the two deadrise choices, the 21 is the preferred choice for running in choppy water. What you give up is a little stability at anchor. You will also need more power to push it. Twin engines preferred or the new lightweight Yammie 300.

How will it perform in a following Sea...coming back from Cuttyhunk on a windy afternoon?

A following sea to a Parker is like a succulent flower to a bumble bee. They were made for each other....

Does anyone have creative ideas for seating people in the cockpit area while the boat is underway...Marine bean bag chairs? BBags for 8 won't work. Folding camping chairs with white rubber tips works.Is sitting on a large tied down cooler realistic? Tied down to what? Why? How long are you going to be out with these other 3 couples? Fill the transom box with ice. It'll hold most of the day.

Would the resale value of the boat be less if we opted for the optional open back pilothouse with drop curtains? Can't answer that. For some boaters, it's preferred. So, a closed back boat would not bring a strong bid from them.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

You also may want to look at the 2530. You sacrifice a little ballroom but you gain some party space on the inside, for entertaining. I really like the 2530's. To me, the perfect Parker would be a 2530 with the ballroom of the 2520, something like a 2830. :D

I have a samll Mercury brand inflatable that fits perfect ontop of my 2530, thought I had a pic but can't find it.

If you are not going to stay overnight on the boat a 2530 with bench seats could probably fit 6+ in the pilot house nice and dry.

Latest posts

Back