constant correction with steering on 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLA69

Reaction score
After splashing the 2120 for the first time I noticed that the steering needed almost constant correction.I never had this on my 2310 and wondering if this is just the way it is with this boat or maybe something is wrong,possibly low fluid.The sea star fluid is the one thing I didn't think to have checked out when the motor was being serviced.

Phenomena known as "deep-V wander" ... worse on some boats than others. The boat doesn't take a straight track, but tracks on a long lazy 'S' curved track.

You are over correcting. Just keep her aligned in the general direction and she'll go that way ... just a little curvy. Look it up on a google search or other ...

Could be low on fluid, or the 'DV wander' that Dale suggested.

Even my MV will try to wander if my speed is too high and I'm just pushing water, such as when I'm coming off of plane.
In my case I'll back it down to no more than 1200 rpm and you can feel the hull 'settle', then run true.

Does your 21 wander at all speeds, or say... just above x rpm?
When you turn the wheel, does it feel like it has 'slack' in it?

I have to correct my 2120 in some conditions. That DV really likes to head out on its own sometimes. Agree with above, does it feel like there is slack in the steering?

I have to correct also but anticipate it so it's not a big deal. Always funny when I hand the wheel over to someone else though. :lol:

Photoguy":2y3gvwlo said:
I have to correct also but anticipate it so it's not a big deal. Always funny when I hand the wheel over to someone else though. :lol:

I actually notice it more at very slow speeds like when leaving the ramp.It does feel like a bit of slack also.When I get down again i'll have some sea star fluid with me and check the fluid level.I had a 2310 Parker with the same 21 degree at transom deadrise and never had this problem.

The DV wander should be a slow "S" type weave as Dale mentions, that just a slight touch of wheel correction straightens it out. I have a little wander on mine but nothing severe. The wander was reduced when I increased the diameter of my prop a mere 1/2 inch (15 to 15.5 ) Diameter on the prop is what pushes the boat so to speak, so better pushing effect reduced the slow speed tracking line. This was just a positive side effect to the prop change, as the wander is nothing so severe to target as a goal for a corrective measure like an expensive prop change.
At speed the boat does not move at all and runs rails, the wander is only at no wake speeds.

The pilot house will catch the wind a little more than the walkaround. Other than that, all boats tend to wander at slow speeds due to operator over correcting because they think the are driving a car but actually they are pushing a shopping cart backwards. Anytime I feel that I'm working too hard at the helm, I press a little button labeled autopilot and sit back and watch other boaters over correct...

POGE":2z883fzz said:
The DV wander should be a slow "S" type weave as Dale mentions, that just a slight touch of wheel correction straightens it out. I have a little wander on mine but nothing severe. The wander was reduced when I increased the diameter of my prop a mere 1/2 inch (15 to 15.5 ) Diameter on the prop is what pushes the boat so to speak, so better pushing effect reduced the slow speed tracking line. This was just a positive side effect to the prop change, as the wander is nothing so severe to target as a goal for a corrective measure like an expensive prop change.
At speed the boat does not move at all and runs rails, the wander is only at no wake speeds.

Mine also seems fine at speed,it's the very slow speeds that require constant back and forth correction.

Mine wanders too at slow speed. However, my last boat was a 17'10" Henry O with a 23 degree at the transom and it also wandered. Both at slow speed/low rpm. On my 2120 when at about 1400 to 1500 it tracs straight. My Henry O was about the same. Actually the other 2 boats have had also wandered at least some at slow speed. I've always assumed that was just how it is. I agree with the oversteer comment. It may just take some additional time with it to learn not to over correct for the wander?? I don't know if it will have any affect, but I do think my motor is mounted to low and am curious if the wandering will be reduced any when I move up a couple of holes?

shawnee83":22m0cdjr said:
Mine wanders too at slow speed. However, my last boat was a 17'10" Henry O with a 23 degree at the transom and it also wandered. Both at slow speed/low rpm. On my 2120 when at about 1400 to 1500 it tracs straight. My Henry O was about the same. Actually the other 2 boats have had also wandered at least some at slow speed. I've always assumed that was just how it is. I agree with the oversteer comment. It may just take some additional time with it to learn not to over correct for the wander?? I don't know if it will have any affect, but I do think my motor is mounted to low and am curious if the wandering will be reduced any when I move up a couple of holes?

I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU RAISE THE MOTOR.My motor is in the lowest position and I'm sure it should be moved up at least two holes.

Mine is 1 hole up but it think it will end up all the way up after I move it. That might be it. My steering also felt tight at high speeds when I first got it. It's an 2006 but it didn't get used much with 295 hrs on it last fall. It has gotten better with use but I've wondered if it had air in the lines so I've also been thinking about bleeding the hydronic lines just to see if that helps. I've heard the air can cause too much play??? All things to check out. That F225 is heavy but I have no regrets. I went all the way to Lowell, MA to get it. Anyway, these are the things I'm going to do and I'll see what happens.

shawnee83":1j87ieyi said:
Mine is 1 hole up but it think it will end up all the way up after I move it. That might be it. My steering also felt tight at high speeds when I first got it. It's an 2006 but it didn't get used much with 295 hrs on it last fall. It has gotten better with use but I've wondered if it had air in the lines so I've also been thinking about bleeding the hydronic lines just to see if that helps. I've heard the air can cause too much play??? All things to check out. That F225 is heavy but I have no regrets. I went all the way to Lowell, MA to get it. Anyway, these are the things I'm going to do and I'll see what happens.

My boat is an 05 and the motor has 385 hours ,seems we have very similar set ups.Between the two of us I bet we get this glitch worked out.I really do like the boat and I'm sure this can be corrected.

Back