Correct AGM Battery for Yamaha 115?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Bro

Reaction score
I need to change the 2 batteries on my 1801, which were Group 27 Exides. I had heard that I only need a group 24 size battery for this engine, and wonder if anyone can recommend the appropriate size AGM?

The Exides are original and the boat is a 2003, so it is time for a change. I saw some good prices for Napa's house brand AGM made by Exide Orbital, but it appears that they are either Group 31 or 34 in size.

Anyone know of a battery that would be appropriate for my boat. I run a fishfinder, GPS, and VHF so I dont think I need a deep cycle battery.

Best regards,

Todd

FWIW I've never received less than 4-years service out of Exide batteries. Most last 5-6 or more, but I replace them at 4-years. I'll keep 1 or 2 around as spares or for use in the skiff.

I also replace mine one at time, every 2 years, so there's always a new or newer and an an older (proven) battery on board.

You are quite right, a Group 24 battery is all that is needed up to V6 sized motors. Newer technology motors need the amps as if/when the starting voltage drops below 11 volts while cranking, the ECU or computer brain won't light up, so the motor won't start.

I'd say you'd best be served by the dual-purpose battery - which is a starting battery designed with deep-cycle like plates. I use twin Exide dual-purpose G24s on my boat and have for years. Never a power problem!

I have a pair of Group 27 Optima blue-top AGM's on my 2520.
This is their 5th year...

Next year I'm swapping them out for a pair of Group 31 Lifeline AGM's in anticipation of adding radar. :wink:

Megabyte":2ia0ruht said:
Next year I'm swapping them out for a pair of Group 31 Lifeline AGM's in anticipation of adding radar. :wink:
Radar - great. But 'why?' the need for G31s? You won't likely run radar without the motor going and the load - while scanning - is only ~5 amps for a Furuno 4kW unit, which typically draw the most of any radar units out there.

I agree that 'more power' is usually better, but when it comes at an added expense that won't ever be used ... it is really worth it? Or I just showing how much of a frugal basst$#d I really am? As is your Group 27s are already adding additional overhead for a boat and motor of your size and ampacity needs.

DaleH":um4kf1m3 said:
Radar - great. But 'why?' the need for G31s?

Not sure that I need G31's... but I want them. :)

I'd like to rewire my batteries so that one battery was for my motor, and the other is for the house, and I don't have that now. Even with the radar on standby, I'd like to power my other instruments and lighting without worry while fishing or rafted-up, and to be able to do that on a single battery without worry.

I also do not have any sort of shoreline connection to a battery conditioner at my slip. Never needed one in the past, and don't see a need in the future.

However, after the amount of rain we received in the past 5 days (more than we ever received during a tropical storm or Nor`easter), I'd like to have that extra capacity to keep my bilge pumps operating happily... and keep me from wondering how stressed the batteries might be as the rain pours down.

I have the room in the battery locker, my battery trays will handle them, and it's almost time to replace the present batteries anyway, so I figure why not? :)

Don't fret though Mr Frugal. The present Optimas will go in my basement to power my homes battery-powered backup sump pump. :wink:

Megabyte":2857sx2m said:
DaleH":2857sx2m said:
Radar - great. But 'why?' the need for G31s?

Not sure that I need G31's... but I want them. :)

I know that and agree extra 'overhead' is good. I just like to add the contrarian opinion so that others don't automatically believe they need something much bigger or more expensive than what may be warranted by conditions and/or requirements.

Or said another way ... sometimes one can pay too much for something they'll derive no discernable value out of. I myself always buy from the 'value' perspective, but respect you opinion of course :D !.

Gents,

Great debate as usual, and thanks for the cautionary words to keep me from spending money on something where it is not needed.

However, what I was hoing to hear about was a particular battery that I should look at. I know a group 27 is probably overkill for my needs, but I like to have a little more than I need. The Optimas I have looked at were either group 31 or 34 in size, which I think is way too much and pretty expensive to boot.

Is there a easily obtainable battery that I should be looking at for my 1801? I think I have made the leap of faith away from regular batteries to the AGMs, due to the fact that the boat sits there for 10 months out of each year and the AGMs are supposed to keep their charge better than wet cells.

I was looking for a specific endorsement for a dependable (and economical) choice for my needs and appreciate the collective wisdom of the folks on this board.

Best regards,

T-Bro

T-Bro":19s55hqe said:
I think I have made the leap of faith away from regular batteries to the AGMs, due to the fact that the boat sits there for 10 months out of each year and the AGMs are supposed to keep their charge better than wet cells.
Good point there. I am still old fashioned when it comes to batterys, so I can't comment on your supposition there, but know that Cabelas's does sell Group 24 sized AGM battery under their own label. Go to www.cabelas.com and put AGM into the search field, top right.

G24 AGM, 1195 amps cranking (MCA) , 845 cold (CCA), and 178 reserve, only $170. But read the reviews, results appear somewhat mixed.

If it were me, I wouldn't depend on any battery lasting unused/charged for that long a time, but seeing you have Denver and MV ... I can easily understand the concern. Maybe a buddy on MV could bring them out and charge them before you show up??? If so, I'd say Exide wets are a viable option.

Sorry T-Bro... We sometimes get out of hand on these threads and forget the original question. :)

On your boat, Group 24's should be fine... Group 27's if you want a bit more capacity.

I will admit that I have not kept up with all of the companies now making AGM batteries (since I bought mine), but Optima, Lifeline, and Rolls/Surette are all still valid brands... There are a lot more people in the game these days than there used to be.

Cabellas used to carry Lifeline batteries with the Cabellas sticker on them, and I'm sure than now there are a lot more companies doing the same.

Here is another source of AGM information if you need it.
http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/

This is what a google search returned when searching for AGM's.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ag ... gle+Search

Hopefully some folks who purchased recently will chime in.

Back