cost of combing pads replacements

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panga

Reaction score
Looking for replacement combing pad (bolster pads) for my 2520SC, been looking at the foam pads from seadek, and considering either trying to find stock replacements or having an upholstery shop make them for me from scratch. I had an upholstery shop make a set a couple years ago and they totaly sucked, didn't have the squared off profile or the sectioned off stiching every couple inches like the factory pads, worst of all they are ruined from the sun in just a few years, so trying to do a bit more research here this time.

I am wondering what you guys have paid for replacements for which type of pad. Figure this is easier than getting a bunch of quotes and will help me decide which route to go. thanks for the help!

didn't have the squared off profile or the sectioned off stitching every couple inches like the factory pads,

That is called a "Rolled & Pleated" The material comes like that now..They don't have to sew it all in.

It sounds to me that you just dealt with a Crappy / Cheap place?

There are plenty of Marine Upholstery shops that can do the job right. Tell them what YOU want...But in order to do that....You have to know what you want. :) One thing that doesn't cost any more money and enriches the look is different colored "Piping". That is the round beading at the edge of 2 surfaces. A Navy Blue or Black really makes it Pop.

Sea Deck Bolsters? Everything I've ever heard is they last, but are Damn near as hard as the fiberglass...Why bother?

Shop around...ask questions, get references, go look at examples of their work.

Remember........ "Quality is Long remembered after the Price is well Forgotten."

thanks for the technical terms that will help, your right I didn't get the piping or the rolled and pleated look, and yes I think I got a crappy job from a crappy place, kind of par for the corse in a small community with out much competition.

I hear you about the hardness of the seadek, that is what has kept me from already ordering.

Was just wondering ball park what to expect, and if it is possible just to order factory replacements from parker?

thanks

Do you have an email or phone for him? Thanks for the tip

Panga... if you would put your location in the 'Location' field of your profile, we might be able to direct you to a local shop that can help.

Absent that, here are some photos of what the factory installs...

Attachments

• bolster01.jpg
    bolster01.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 455
  • bolster02.jpg
    bolster02.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 454
  • bolster03.jpg
    bolster03.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 454
  • bolster04.jpg
    bolster04.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 454
  • bolster05.jpg
    bolster05.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 454
FWIW I put SeaDek 2-tone (sand over black) coaming pads all around my 2520 last season and in the tower and it ran me $500 or thereabouts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 463
My pads are factory and when I had them recovered about 5 years ago, they were about $300

thanks for the info, i am in northern california, I will work on getting profile updated.

Dale how are the pads from sea del? hard on the knees? hard to clean? those are my 2 concerns?

I had factory pads on my boat, they caught water in the winter and rotted, paid a canvas shop to make new ones they did a bad job.

panga":3lhd3tkr said:
How are the pads from SeaDek? Hard on the knees? Hard to clean? Those are my 2 concerns ..
PADDING: To give you an idea, no they are not really 'soft' per se. I'd say they're like a yoga or exercise mat durometer (stiffness), albeit almost an inch thick. But they won't kill your knees or joints when leaning n them. But soft as OEM cushioned pads? Uhhhh, no way!

CLEANING: Very easy to clean, especially if you keep a bottle of diluted (50/50 with water) Simple Green handy. Quick fast clean up. If you forget one, wet it, spray it and keep it wet ... and it'll clean right off, even fish blood. The foam is closed cell, so there's no penetration of the stain into the material.

I will admit that my boat did not have coaming pads and this (SeaDek) was the fastest and less expensive way to rig my boat out. If I had Parker OEM pads, then I probably would have had them done by a reputable boat canvas/upholstery shop.

warthog5":16mjmdsr said:
Sea Deck Bolsters? Everything I've ever heard is they last, but are Damn near as hard as the fiberglass...Why bother?
... it's quite apparent you've never tried them out for yourself, have you? :lol:

The factory combing pads are quite soft, and easy on the knees.
I have fished on boats without them, and instantly appreciated mine.
Fiberglass is tuff on the knees in a pitching boat. :shock:

DaleH":2qjpkph8 said:
FWIW I put SeaDek 2-tone (sand over black) coaming pads all around my 2520 last season and in the tower and it ran me $500 or thereabouts.

I have the same ones "LOVE THEM"

Attachments

• SEADECK.jpg
    SEADECK.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 403
DaleH":26g455cd said:
warthog5":26g455cd said:
... it's quite apparent you've never tried them out for yourself, have you? :lol:

Nope. :)

Mean time here is a pix of Rolled & Plete with Black piping. It was the pads that were custom built for my Mako.

100_1593.jpg

Back