Cost to winterize 115 Yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tug

Reaction score
I had to leave for work and didnt have time to winterize my Y 115 4-stroke, so I had the locale Yamaha shop take care of it for me
1. Changed engine oil
2. Changed lower unit oil.
3. Changed RACOR fuel filter
4. serviced engine fuel filter
5 Fogged eng
end result $477.00 sounds steep to me any thoughts???

Was the repair order itemized to show the amounts for parts and labor, or was it lumped together? If itemized, please post.

In my neck of the woods that is the standard winterization package but they add the proper fuel stabilizer. Last season I paid $300.00. This season I decided to stabilize the fuel and deal with the fluids and filters myself in the spring.

A guy on anouther forum had basicly the same thing done.
He thought $280 was fair.
$60 in materials maybe and a couple hours time. I've always done my own for years. Not a big deal once you do the first one. Takes more time to drag the stuff out and clean up than actually doing.

I suggest doing in the fall as compared to spring.
1) Get that acidic oil out of the engine
2) if there is water in the lower unit you don't want it freezing and breaking things
3) if maintenance (like seals) need replacing it's nice to have arangements before the spring rush by the last minute folks.
4) first good day and you're ready to fish.

You could have done that in 2 to 3 hours easy... so I guess it depends on what your time is worth.

How much did they charge by the hour for labor and how many hours did they bill?

I know most of you are Yamahaians, but I've got to give a plug for my E-Tec. :wink:

1. Changed engine oil................No engine oil in E-Tec
2. Changed lower unit oil............E-Tec LU oil good for 3 years
3. Changed RACOR fuel filter......I DO spin on a new Racor -- see below
4. serviced engine fuel filter........No need to mess with engine fuel filter
5 Fogged eng.............................E-Tec fogs itself

IMG_3261.jpg

Here is my procedure for twin F-115s.

* Fish in MD waters until early Dec.
* Get permits and move boat to Norfolk, VA
* Fish CBBT and VA/NC coastline through Feb.
* Return boat to MD and turn her into Tri-State for annual service
* Pick up boat from Tri-State and return her to Solomons, MD
* Begin fishing CCNPP rips in Mar.
* Fish in MD waters until early Dec.
* Repeat steps annually.

Somewhere in there...generally before I move her to Norfolk, I rework all the wheel bearings on the trailer.

Cost of the service varies depending on how many hours on the motors and whether or not I have them replace the water pumps.

Dave

aka

I had mine done this year and it was a whopping $365.00 but that is the last time I will pay. I will be doing my own from now onl. Get yourself a Secor Manual on eBay and there is a section in there on doing it yourself. Good Luck!

It is so nice not to have that problem here in So Cal I feel for you guys. As for the price. Ouch!

Oil Filter $19.52
Fuel filter $28.00
10W30 (upper oil) $30.00
Racor fuel filter $29.99
Lower Oil $16.99 For a gallon. Lasts for 3 oil changes
Plugs $25.32 For Four
Not sure what it costs to fog. Never had to.

That should be 1 hour labor. Thats how long it takes me and I am a novice.

Ok I picked my boat up to day and was told by the shop that this price was about right $477.
Inline FF 14.95
Racor ff 21.95
5qt Mercury engin oil 29.75
oil filter 11.95
gear oil 15.95
new washers 2.40
grease 6.00
Fog oil 7.95

360.00 in labor and 6% MD tax

I know I could have done this on my own and next year I will. Unless I need a Yamaha guy to keep it under the warenty,

I do my own winter service. All the parts/oil comes to around $100.
6 quarts oil
lower gear oil (1 Gallon. good for a few changes)
Oil Filter
Water Sep filter
Fogging oil (Good for a few fogs)
Grease

Once you do it a few times and get into a routine, it takes a little over an hour.

Latest posts

Back