CP member hobbies when you aren't boating or fishing?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I know that some of our members boat and fish all year long, but what about those of us who haul out for the winter due to ice and snow?
Do you have another hobby or pastime (also known as a money pit) to keep you occupied?

Unless it is really cold or nasty out, I still participate in shooting sports over the winter.
Sporting clays, wobble trap, bulls-eye hand gun, rimfire rifle out to 50 yards for score, and centerfire rifle out to 100 yards (the limit of my club range).

Anyone else have a winter hobby?

I make my own fishing rods. That allows me to make rods that are designed for use on my 2520XL. For example: in the summer and fall I troll using light tackle. I found it hard to find just the right rod for light trolling, i.e. the length of the butt section is important for comfort in bringing in a fish and also so it sets in the rod holder without rubbing the reel against the top of the rod holder. This keeps me busy all winter. I don't sale the rods only make them for myself and friends.

I got a couple of other "money pits" too. Aerobatic competition with radio controled model planes, and benchrest rimfire and centerfire shooting with some gunsmithing thrown in for myself and a few friends,

Grandkids..........money pit, like a boat well worth every penny :D

Burtona":1dr5maj7 said:
benchrest rimfire and centerfire shooting with some gunsmithing thrown in for myself and a few friends,

Bolt action, or semi auto precision shooting?
My SuperStock rimfire is a Ruger 10/22, while my centerfire precision rifle is a LaRue over LaRue AR15.

fess":2qgrzcbp said:
Grandkids..........money pit, like a boat well worth every penny :D

I hear ya.
Working on a birthday bicycle right now for the oldest of the two. :)

Megabyte":i20tzefd said:
Burtona":i20tzefd said:
benchrest rimfire and centerfire shooting with some gunsmithing thrown in for myself and a few friends,

Bolt action, or semi auto precision shooting?
My SuperStock rimfire is a Ruger 10/22, while my centerfire precision rifle is a LaRue over LaRue AR15.

Strickly bolt rifles for me. I like Rem 40X RF rifles and have an affinity for old Shilen DGA action CF rifles.

I will fish all winter unless I get stuck shoveling snow 8) Of course a few tours of some tackle shows make for fun too.

When I'm not boating or working on the boat, I like to tinker and ponder between dog walks (I'm retired living the life of Riley).

My buisness is seasonal so I'm off from November to mid March, lots of free time to enjoy life and spend quality time with my kids and girlfriend.

I fish in the tropics for marlin, tuna dorado,ect and NC for giant bluefin.
I live in CO January to mid March and ski there amost every day.
I'm also an instructor in Krav Maga, which is contact combat, so I keep pretty busy in the "off season".
I also target shoot but don't hunt.
Capt Brian

I hunt until January (and sometimes until March in some open areas). I envy the guys with Grandkids. I'm still waiting. I'm still working so the free time is limited. I try to catch up on all maintenance and honey-dos so I can play when the weather gets better. I try to get out at least once per month (yellow perch or catch and release stripers) so I don't have to winterize the boats.

SommerTime":1i6ivjp2 said:
I make my own fishing rods. That allows me to make rods that are designed for use on my 2520XL. For example: in the summer and fall I troll using light tackle. I found it hard to find just the right rod for light trolling, i.e. the length of the butt section is important for comfort in bringing in a fish and also so it sets in the rod holder without rubbing the reel against the top of the rod holder. This keeps me busy all winter. I don't sale the rods only make them for myself and friends.

I also got into building my own rods, great winter time hobby my cousin (bryan2530) got me into it, its fun to get together with him on a snowy day and build some rods and drink a few brews. Nice sense of accomplishment after you are done as well!

miky2884":3vym62z9 said:
its fun to get together with him on a snowy day and build some rods and drink a few brews.

Except lately we drink more beer than build rods, although the season is upon us to start some projects.

I work 2 jobs and bought a retirement home and remodeling it slowwwwwwwwly. I like to travel and dream of buying a 30' motorcoach and pulling the Parker around the country except ....
stilling writing checks and hope the kids will finish college some day.
My daily routine is completing reading all of the CP messages for fishing tips and boat projects, and stories.

Bird hunt and ski.

Also expand my knowledge and experience in single malt scotch, hopefully in a leather chair by the fire!

I have one Boy Scout and one Cub Scout. I run our local Cub Scout program so that keeps me pretty busy from September to June. Unfortunately work and three kids keeps me pretty busy but it is a GOOD busy. Great thread Kevin.

we are into snowmobiling and enjoying winter...
DSCN1666.jpg

DSCN1736.jpg

03_01_08_014.jpg

but looking foward to trying out the new boat in the spring!!!

DSCN2231-Copy.jpg

Back