Crazy day on Stelwagen Bank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-j

Reaction score
A bunch of buddiesw and I always take the week off before Labor Day to devote a bunch of time to fishing with families. the striper and blues have been going crazy off Misery Island every afternoon and we are slamming them.

However, yesterday planned to go off to Stelwagen to chase tuna around. The reports were that pogies were essential and maybe mackeral. We were shut out getting live bait but went out anyway. Got to the nose of the NW corner at sunup and started setting a troll using sluggos. We had two rods in and still setting up the other two when one of the rods goes off. Fish on! In reaching for it I push the drag lever up accidentally to "stop a train" level and the fish snaps right off. Darn!

Then we start seeing splashes and tuna jumping everywhere around us. Sizes from 120 to 200 pound plus flying through the air. One almost hit the boat! Tried casting to them, but they were up and down too fast for run and gun tactics.

Okay, deep breaths. Set up a troll and wait for them to come to us. Within another ten minutes the second rod goes off. Big fish. Twenty minutes later he is by the boat. We are putting a tail rope on him when he gives a head shake and snaps the leader. Gone again! We were using 80 pound leader. Clearly time to upgrade to 130 pound.

Re-rig and set up again. twenty minutes later the rod is singing again! this time a smaller fish with 130 leader. Again on a sluggo. Landed and put on ice for the table!

What is hard to convay is the amount of activity we saw. Fish were flying everywhere!!! This was just north of the bank itself. when we looked at our "trail" on the GPS, we had not gone more than a mile from our first fish all day. Very economical trip!

Picture is the fish we kept and my 10year old who did the lion's share of landing it. He had to pass the rod off after the fish took a third run!

Dave

Attachments

• IMGP0260 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP0260 (Medium).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 245
Wow! Sounds like a great day!
Did you see Dale out there? :shock:

Nice fish, and a great report!!

I'm sure if you tossed a Shimano butterfly jig out you would have got smashed instantly. It's been blowing NE here for a week and no one has been out. I can't wait to get back out there,hopefully after this weekend.

Congrats,

We were out at the SW corner on Saturday. Plenty of whales, birds, and boats. We didn't see anyone getting tuna. Plenty of bluefish to go around. Prize of the day was a breaching humpback. Albeit, we got there late because we took a disabled vessel in tow in the canal until Boat US took over.

Just curious as to why tail roping and not use a gaff on tuna? Plans to release?

We often slip a rope on first to control the fish, then gaff in the head where it won't damage the meat if we decide to keep it. Additionally, at the size of the fish we had, gaffing alone could send it into a frenzy that the gaffer alone couldn't control. This was a 160-180 pound fish.

The fish we kept was much smaller, around 120-130 and we simply gaffed him and flung him over the rail.

What I realize I need is a harpoon with a line for these situations. The tuna are just getting bigger and the gear needs to grow with them.

OK, got ya. I've bent a few gaffs sticking green fish. Try the aftco cockpit harpoon. Nice little compact harpoon for throwing a quick dart in them.

Back