Cut VHF antenna cable?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
I need to make a short run with the antenna cable from the VHF antenna to the radio. Can the length of the VHF cable be shortened? I read somewhere, someone saying it couldn’t. Something to do with the length contributing to the tuning of the antenna.

Any thoughts?

I searched the net previous to posting this question. The older 5701's aren't listed anymore. Guess I'll use the 3' rule of thumb.

Thanks for your reply

JC":3ga5jn2c said:
I need to make a short run with the antenna cable from the VHF antenna to the radio. Can the length of the VHF cable be shortened? I read somewhere, someone saying it couldn’t. Something to do with the length contributing to the tuning of the antenna.

Any thoughts?

Yes you can ... it's an easy 5 minute project. Get a Shakespeare CenterPin Plug. (I think it has a stock numer of PL-258 available at any marine supply store) Cut your cable to desired length, install Centerpin plug (no soldering), hook up to radio.

I used it to shorten the cable when I moved my radio under the console, and it works great.

ParkerSal":2w13bn1j said:
JC are you a dealer? Your 2120 was pretty darned tricked out...

Merry Christmas anyways...

I'm not a dealer.

She is well equipped. I'd lost track of the hours invested in my 2120.
Merry Christmas

The gold plated crimp-on Shakespeare connectors are notoriously unreliable... best connector is Mil-spec Amphenol type PL 259. Silver plated. Yes, you will need to solder them. This is the only way to get extended reliability in a marine environment. The CHROME ones that come with Shakes antennas should be thrown out.

Back