Davit Install Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott diego

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking to install a kick-ass davit I just bought on my Parker 2320. I am going to drill a hole in my gunnel(rail) and thread the pole through there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

d48e_2.JPG

Here is the million dollar question... which I am looking for some help on.

How should I treat the fiberglass hole? I would really like some sort of stainless fitting that will fit the davit pole snugly (it is 1.75" in diameter) as it is a removeable davit.

Where could I locate something like this? I have seen some through-hull fittings but am not sure if this is the best way to go?

a8c5_1.JPG

Any ideas guys? I really want this hole to be strong and also moderately seamless...

Thank you for any and all help...

-Scott

Scott

Nice find!
Why not just screw it down to the flooring and use the bracket to secure it to the side of the gunnel? As opposed to drilling a hole thru the gunnel.

Joe

TunaJoe":3nqhj7qq said:
Scott

Nice find!
Why not just screw it down to the flooring and use the bracket to secure it to the side of the gunnel? As opposed to drilling a hole thru the gunnel.

Joe

Thanks for the response!

To answer your question, I figured that it would be more out-of-the-way as I will likely 5200 the base plate on the deck under the gunnel (which is better when the davit is not in use) And I have a combing pad that wraps around the inside of the cockpit. (do you think I should cut out a patch and go that route?)

Any other ideas gentlemen?

Maybe you could use a straight rod holder and make the pin removable in the bottom of the holder. Drill your davit and use the pin to keep if from swinging when under way. Check to see if Parker has a straight holder and check the inner diameter. If needed you could make a plastic bushing to make it tight. When you are not using the davit you can use the rod holder to hold a net, boat hook etc.

Just curious..What are you planning to lift with that (fish)? Does not look real sturdy? What is it rated for or is it custom made?

Backing plates, backing plates and more backing plates. I'd also use a 90-degree "straight up" HEAVY toona-rated (Lee or Melton) rod holder and would insert that into the gunnel.

Then have a LONG length of SS tubing welded into the bottom of the davit (or make removable), for the davit to fit onto.

Either way, you want LENGTH both into the rod holder and well up the ID of that davit post, IMHO anyway.

Thank you so much for the replies guys. For those that are curious I am going to use it to life my small inflatable onto the boat for channel crossings as well as lifting the 9.9 hp motor onto my dinghy. Maybe for hoop-netting too if I ever decide to set a couple strings instead of scuba dive for lobsters.

I am probably going to go with this product.

http://www.meltontackle.com/products/pr ... lders.html

I have to say it again THIS SITE RULES.

Thanks again

-Scott

I don't know about those rod holders, Unless you remove the pin and put a plate on the deck to fit into.

What is the ID of the post??

Hi Scott,
The one I got is alot lighter and folds up, the one you are looking at is cool, but might be way over kill, I paid new less than 200 and it is pretty nice, just my thought !

Bryan A":1do4ac4a said:
I don't know about those rod holders, unless you remove the pin and put a plate on the deck to fit into.

What is the ID of the post??

GREAT idea, pin to the deck would prevent a righting moment.

So I purchased the heavy duty rod holder in the above post and it looks like it is going to be pretty slick.

I will take some pics and post them when it is done.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

-Scott

Here's how a guy with a toona boat hauls up to 1,000 feet of anchor rode. That 'davit' goes through a vertical rod holder as I suggested, but as Bryan also commented, it is also secured from BELOW as it passes completely thru the rod holder, for more strength.

hauler_dave_188.jpg

DaleH":17wjc7l4 said:
Here's how a guy with a toona boat hauls up to 1,000 feet of anchor rode.

143' at a 7:1 scope.
166' at a 6:1 scope
200' at a 5:1 scope
250' at a 4:1 scope

Much deeper water than I have to deal with!
No wonder he uses a pot-puller to get his line up. :)

I see guys anchored in ~400' of water all the time, but it sure isn't a solid hookup for sure, just enough to stem any drift so you can lay out a chum slick.

Thanks for the pic Dale. I had the rod holder installed today and we got the base plate secured to the deck. There were some on the fly changes though because the gunnell is not parallel to the deck and we had to move the hole inward a bit, as well as, cut some of the base plate and angle it slightly. All in all it looks pretty slick so far but I have not put any weight on it... yet.

Craig, you will get to see this thing in action in Catalina!

I will try to snap some pics tomorrow.

-Scott

Back