Deck cracking.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Salt

Reaction score
Hey, how is everyone doing? I have a question about cracking on the deck of my 1996 2520 Parker. The deck of the boat has no soft spots but has some hairline cracking on it. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to fix these cracks to prevent any future damage.

Thank you

I just removed the deck on a 2520 so I know what you got. Those hairline cracks were superficial on mine because most of the wood under it was still in excellent condition. Mine got soft around the hatches because of failed sealants.

If you just sand and paint the cracks will very likely return. I would rough sand it down to expose the fiberglass then put another layer or two of glass over it. Then sand it smooth,prime and paint with a good deck paint.

Thanks Fisheron and Warthogs5 for your help, I think I will be able to handle this project with this information

Seems like a common problem on Parkers as I had the same problem on my 2005 2520 XL and I have seen posts from a host of others. At first I had the cracks ground out and filled but 2 years later they cracked again. The second time I had them ground out / filled and another coat of fiberglass on top of entire deck. That seemed to do the trick. Disappointed with hairline cracks in the deck, corrosion of aluminum window frames, seat arms and pedestals in the pilothouse, and rough ride. Would I buy another Parker.....would have to think about it.

Capt. Jim":17kb86qv said:
Disappointed with hairline cracks in the deck, corrosion of aluminum window frames, seat arms and pedestals in the pilothouse, and rough ride. Would I buy another Parker.....would have to think about it.

Yep, some of the main reasons why I sold mine.

Good thing is they hold their value for the un-initiated. :mrgreen:

Back