Deck Replacement, 2520 MV SC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJim

Reaction score
My deck is got a few soft spots that I bought the boat with - and I'm kind of crap or get off the pot now, since the boat is paid off, I either gotta upgrade or keep the boat I've got and save the payments. It'd probably be easier to fix the nagging issues on my crate and repower it eventually, but so far my HPDI is running like a champ so I'm in no hurry to start thinking of repowering.

Wondering if anyone had their decks redone... My deck is only soft in a couple places, but the gelcoat on it is like ice once it gets wet. I've been thinking of getting some quotes to get the deck redone next winter...wondering if anyone had it done and what I should expect to pay a good fiberglass guy to do it right. I assume the stringers should be good, wondering if it would make sense to change the dual 47gal fuel tanks and put one larger one in.

Anyway, just spitballing. I saw some projects where the cabin sole was redone, but my cabin sole is hard as a rock. it's the dance floor that has a soft spot near the door and a soft spot near the rear bilge hatch.

Capt... On an '88 model year, You've done pretty well and are probably before the period when the under deck areas were coated with epoxy.

Replacing the deck is a pretty straight forward proposition.
If you decide to do the work yourself, give the factory a call with your HIN and see if they have records that go back that far.
If they do, they can tell you if there are any areas to be concerned with when the saw starts cutting...

As for the tanks... it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them while the deck is up and open.
At the least... give them a good inspection and replace all the hoses while you are in there.

In any event, the factory is your friend and they can guide you. :wink:

well im not sure if they epoxied the stringers, I cant really see them too good, however i know for sure the underside of the deck is not epoxied or glassed, so moisture over 22 years has taken its toll.

my 2520 was built with a layer of 25 oz.woven roaving in it,in 22 years only had to replace top layer twice in small [4x4]area where i stand[boat used for crabbing on lower cheasapeake]was told to have this done to this boat by a fellow who repaired fiberglass boats locally,previous 22 chawk had its copit floor replaced 3 times in 28 years last in 96 with woving roving layer hasn't been replaced yet,impacts said to cause cracks in spray on [chopper]mat that will admit water and cause rot,check ship shapr 's web site he's replaced ply with a core material

don't like in bilge,fire/explosion hazzard,but keep twins,fill only onat time if fuel has water you got clea tank to get home on

Back