Deep V, Modify V, XL, XLD???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy meads

Reaction score
Greetings Parker fans, not an owner, YET, but expect to purchase a used 2520 in the near future. Excuse my ignorance, but can someone be so kind as to explain the differences in Hulls on the 25's. I look through various "for sale" ads and find 2520 deep V, Modify V and just 2520. I suppose my real ? is how many types of hulls are there? is the Mod V the same as the xl or are there 3 different styles?
Further, how much difference is there in the Deep V vs. the regular V, (or Mod V if it is the same)?
I'm betting the Deep V would sute my needs best as I live in the Northeast but there are more choices/deals with hulls that dont specify Deep V. Is the deep V a must?
I'll be waiting... :roll:

Warning-warning Danger-Danger....

This is a religious topic around here. You have the mod-v jihadists vs. the deep v crusaders.

There are really only two hulls for the 25's, the mod-V (18 degrees?) and the deep Vee (21 degrees). There is another thread in this section that shows pictures of each.

The real differences are that the deep vee will give you a more comfortable ride in a head sea, and the mod vee will get better fuel efficiency. Some of the jihadists will claim that the deep vee will rock more on the drift, which is bs since the boats drift stern to the waves and you go up and down, not side to side.

So which is better is really up to you and how you will use the boat. I fish mostly offshore, so the DV is important to me. Your decisions will vary.

The MV is certainly just as seaworthy, though you may have to slow down somewhat more than with the DV to maintain your kidneys.

I'm sure the jihadists will respond......

Okay, now I got it straight. I was already on board with the Deep V and understand the bennies of each in there situations. I was just a little confusedas to whether there was a Deep, a regular and a Mod at the lower end of the deadrise scale. Reason being that some folks make note that their hulls were the Mods others were Deeps and some didn't spec.
So there are two 25' styles of Deadrise.
I'm from Cape Cod. Lots of nice days and lots of snot! I know the deep would be better for me so I guess the follow up ? is, and you already warned me of the hornets nest I'm about to stirrrrr...Will the Mod realy pound that much more?

Here we go....

3 different Parker 25' hulls

mod v 14 degrees of deadrise
XL and SL 16 degrees of deadrise
DV is 21 degrees of deadrise.

IMO, go take a ride in each one under varying sea conditions. No Parker will ride like a 26' Regulator, for a variety of reasons, but there are stark differences in the 14degree(MV) vs. 16degree(XL) vs. 21 degree (DV).

I never test rode a MV, but felt confident in reports by other people. I did test ride a XL (16) and knew the 21degree DV was in my future.

B-Faithful":2e5gi095 said:
3 different Parker 25' hulls

mod v 14 degrees of deadrise
XL and SL 16 degrees of deadrise
DV is 21 degrees of deadrise.

Correct... but the 14 degree hull is no longer in production.
These days you only have the 16 degree modified vee and the 21 degree deep vee to choose from.

Thanks for all the input. I figure the 21deg is best for my needs, now its just a matter of finding the right one at the right price!
Thanks again... :wink:

As the owner of a modified V hull, I'll agree that the boats pound in a head sea. In fact, it can be a pretty bone-jarring experience since you're basically standing over the wave. That said, the solution is simple: slow down. I've owned a lot of deep V hulls and they will all pound if you're booking through a head sea or a nasty chop. It's all a question of degree, though (no pun intended...). My 2520 does not have the soft entry that my 28' Blackfin did, or even my 25' Pursuit. But it makes up for that shortcoming an a ton of other ways. Chief among them, I think, is stability on a drift. My Blackfin had a half tower, and once the boat started rocking on a drift the fulcrum effect of all that weight up top combined with the deep v would make you feel like you were about to go over. That never happens in my 2520. Fuel efficiency is another good thing. But then going from twin 454s to a single 225 Opti might not be a fair comparison :)

Either way you're getting a Parker, so in my humble opinion you can't go wrong.

Nice boat, I've actually checked it out before but I'm looking for a sport cabin. thanks anyway and I'll surely pass this along to anyone looking for a walk around. Mom's boyfriend has an old Grady WA, sure he would love this one...

Back