deep v or mod v?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcv

Reaction score
This is one of the boats I'm interested in. Is this a deep v or a mod v hull? Also, which should I be trying to get? I won't be drift fishing in 10 footers but I don't want it to be a nightmare when at rest in 3-4 foot seas.

here's the boat:

2868213036_0f0215a351_o.jpg

Thanks
Jay

I believe it's measured at the transom. I personally can't tell by looking. But maybe some of the more experinced guys on this site can.

whats the model number on the side of the cabin? and as far as mod vs deep v you have to take the good with the bad and realize where and how far you are going. i have the 2530 deep v and its pretty stable at rest. maybe not as stable as the mod v but how are you ever going to know unless you jump back in forth between the boat in 2-4's.

I have the 14 degree modv...

It's an unbeleivable drifting boat, and super stable in a beam and following sea.

HOWEVER: It is brutal in a head sea.

I do not however have trim tabs, which I have on the plan for this winter's layup.

The deep V would be nicer for offshore stuff, but 99% of the fishing I do is inshore, and when the weather blows, we don't go anyway.

The furthest I've run the boat is the occasional run to the reefs for bottom fishing, which is about 15nm from my dock, approx 5nm offshore.

CaptainJim":3e46gfmr said:
I have the 14 degree modv...

It's an unbeleivable drifting boat, and super stable in a beam and following sea.

HOWEVER: It is brutal in a head sea.

This thread could get ugly.

My .02 - I have the 21 DV CC and Captain Jim hit the nail on the head. Mine is polar opposite. It sucks in a quartering sea, bearable in a following sea, and an absolute beast in a head sea :D .

Tabs will help though and just slow down in a rough set if a MV is what you decide to go with.

Good Luck!

ryanc2":2iysm24t said:
Tabs will help though and just slow down in a rough set if a MV is what you decide to go with.
Agree 110%! I came home from toona fishing offshore the other day into a strong head sea and I was on 100% down trimtabs, slowed to < 20mph. My fuel burn wasn't great, as the bow was still high (couldn't get 'fast' enough in the sea state to get on plane, even though the boat had the power available). But she rode much smoother than the 23-degree deep-V I came back on during the week's before trip.

I look at it this way ... when you can't stand on the back deck safely to fish, in either a ddep-V or mod-V boat ... maybe its time to head for the barn!

All the deep-V will do is get home faster. As Capt Jim opined, there are many pluses to the size and weight the mod-V hull carries for 'other' uses. And to me, those other uses are 75+% of my boating!

So much passion.....

To answer at least one of your questions, we can't tell from that picture if it's a DV or MV. The differences are under the water line.

To tell, you can look at the molded in serial number (it will have a DV or MV on the hullid) or ask how large the fuel tank is. The DV will have a 172 gallon tank, the MV about 150 gallons.

It doesn't matter a hoot at drift. The boat doesn't drift beam to the sea, it drifts stern to the sea and rocking isn't an issue.

gerg":26a8j511 said:
It doesn't matter a hoot at drift. The boat doesn't drift beam to the sea, it drifts stern to the sea and rocking isn't an issue.

actually i've perfected my beam to drift... As long as I don't have wind against tide, i turn the wheel hard over to the windward side. My modv will drift side to the wind perfectly.

Until the tide changes.

gerg":346mpfvd said:
To tell, you can look at the molded in serial number (it will have a DV or MV on the hull id)

Not sure WHEN that coding was 1st started, but it is not the case with all model years ...

I know this is a hot topic among boaters as it is my biggest hang up on the purchase of a boat (xld vs. xl). The majority of my use will be family trips, island hopping, scalloping, cruising with offshore trips ranging in the 30 to 40 mile category (about 60% family, 40% offshore). I boat in the northern Gulf of Mexico with tight chop conditions the norm.

Is the difference between a 16 degree deadrise and 21 degree deadrise really that big of a difference?

JTR":30kuub7o said:
I know this is a hot topic among boaters as it is my biggest hang up on the purchase of a boat (xld vs. xl). The majority of my use will be family trips, island hopping, scalloping, cruising with offshore trips ranging in the 30 to 40 mile category (about 60% family, 40% offshore). I boat in the northern Gulf of Mexico with tight chop conditions the norm.

Is the difference between a 16 degree deadrise and 21 degree deadrise really that big of a difference?

I would say sea trial both. A MV or a DV would both work in any of those situations you gave.

I would love to sea trial both unfortunately their aren't any in my area (NW Florida). The local dealer does not have one and I would feel uncomfortable asking as I am looking for a used boat. There is a boat reasonably close that is on my short list.

Cannot tell from that photo, but the DVSC has 2 lifting strakes running down the hull and the MVSC will have only 1.
If the boat were out of the water and you could see the hull at the transom, a DV will have a flat section of keel right below the garboard drain and the MV will have a V-eed keel below the drain. Out of the water, that is the easiest way to tell the difference.

Both hulls have their attributes.

FWIW, my boat is the older 14* MV, no longer produced. The newer MV's have 16* of deadrise at the transom. The DV's have 21* of deadrise.

I replaced my 12x12 OEM tabs with a set of 24x9 Bennetts, and I have found that I can remain on plane at between 9 to 10 kts when the Bay really gets nasty. It might take me longer to get home, but I know that I'll still be dry and comfortable (and no pounding). You cannot go that slow in a DV and remain on plane.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :wink:

Here is an out of water shot of a DV and an MV showing the lifting strakes.

Image-75A98B85F6B411DB.jpg

Image-75A9E6E3F6B411DB.jpg

In this photo you can just see the flat spot on the keel below the garboard drain.

Image-75ABBBF5F6B411DB.jpg

Here is the MV's keel.

Image-75ABE900F6B411DB.jpg

Hope this helps.

Very helpful.

My biggest concern was the 30-40 mile offshore trips. I am not a throttle jockey. I do not mind slowing down when seas get rough.

Thanks for your help.

MV stays on plane at a slower speed, and can be pushed with less HP (key in this day of high cost fuel). And...just because the cost of a barrel of oil is down for the moment, doesn't mean it won't climb again. Overall world consumption is rising and production is flat. Despite the spin the pols put on it, Econ 101 says that the cost/bbl will rise.

On calm days, I cruise my MV 2510 at 4,200 rpm at about 25 mph and about 9.5-10.0 gph. On crappy days, I cruise at 3,700 rpm, at about 18 mph and about 7.5 gph.

Dave

aka

I also have the 2510 DV and I fish on a buddy's with a Mod V.

There is absolutl no downside to the DV. It does not rock at anchor like a black-fin or formula. I've spent many days at anchor chunking for tuna.

It does ride a little better on offshore trips than the MV. I have a single zuke 250 and it is plenty of power with decent economy The Dv will plane at 13-14 kts if needed in sloppy seas. I cruise at 18 to 23 depeding on conditions and mood.

Any GPH or MPH metrics to go for that Zuke 250hp on that boat Harpoon?

Back