Deep V -vs- Mod V Discussion in-shore/off-shore

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Inshore and offshore to, lets say artifical reefs, not Chesapeake Bay conditions but Coastal NC/SC/GA.

I'd like to compare and contrast DV -vs- MV especially 2500SE/2501CC and 2801CC.

I love my 2320DVSC and can run the bay pretty fast and safe in very choppy/rough conditions but what I really hate is the deep V "roll" when anchored or drifting.

Do the larger deep V hulls (25 and 28) roll as badly as the 23? Is a 2500 MV suitable for off shore trolling or is deep V required? I always "pick my days" anyway but when I move to Isle of Palms I want to not be limited if I want to go tuna or dolfin fishing, yet still be comfortable in shore chasing spanish/trout/reds/kings.

I am also sure I'll need twin whatevers.

John

I have a 2320 and I dont understand when people mention the DV roll. Maybe im usto fishing on DV boats but I fish on a lot of different boats and I dont see any difference between my boat and any others. I fish the long island sound where majority of the days its choppy.
Plus id take the more comfortable ride over the little rock while drifting any day.
my .02

How far are you running typically? I am a near shore/ inshore guy so I have a mod v mindset... This is how I see it from my type of fishing:
Say your typical runs are 20nm and you can run 5kts faster in a deep v given a certain sea in comfort (doubt the difference is that much, probably more like 3 knots). 20kts in the mod v means you have an hour run. 25 knots in another deep V means you run 48 min. You get there 12 minutes faster (7 minutes faster at 3 knots slower).

If you are slow trolling, drifting or on the hook for 4-6 hours on a trip, what are you going to be more comfortable in while fishing? Is the 7-12 minutes running time at 20nm worth additonal expenses and less stability? Is the extra fuelcost and higher cost of deep v boat and higher HP necessary?

In my world, offshore tuna fishing to 20-miles, the deep-Vs are running a good 5-10 or more MPH than I am in my lowly mod-V (14-degree) Parker. But as I've stated a gazillion times here, my boat is more stable on the drift than their's are, so when I can't stand on my back deck to fish ...they have already LEFT and have headed home for the barn.

Last Fall, when the tuna fishing is best and the seas and winds are historically at their worst, I attempted to go offshore 5 times ...

Twice I didn't even go to the dock ... real-time buoy reports dictated that was the 'smart' choice

Once I left the dock only to turn around ~12-miles later

Of the two times I did manage to get out, we left after a few hours on one day as the seas kept building and once I can't stand to fish comfortably ... I too head for the barn!

Is my mod-V the ideal situation? For my use and application, yes ... I prefer the single OB rig vs. the expense and upfront co$t of a twin OB rig, never mind I bought what was available when looking.

Also remember that offshore, you will not have the short chop of the Chessie or LIS.
Out there offshore, the seas (and the roll) is (normally) more gradual than what I see in my home waters.

Is one 'better' than the other?
I don't know... but I do know that the 9'6" beam feels more stable to me than an 8'6" beam does when running, as it has less 'snap'.

The MV - DV debate has been going on for ages... and I don't think it's going to be 'won' any time soon. :)

Thanks guys. Good responses. Kevin, As you know I fish from Deale to Solomons, both sides. I like to troll, run and gun, and "force" fish :wink: . The 2320 was a no brainer, and I love her. The wife wants a little more stability, and believe it or not, more room/bigger boat when we move to South Carolina. The boat will be marina slipped and walking / biking distance from my house. I have been really leaning more towards a 2500 over the 2501, but was undecided as to MV/DV. Dale your point about stability is well taken, and to the point, and the extra fuel cost is a valid point as well. Before I start shopping I need to figure out:

Twins -vs- Single? Or keep my tow insurance up to date or get a kicker...

John

An Albin 28 Tournament Express with Yanmar diesel would be de BOMB! Rated THE best riding hull ever tested by Powerboat Reports.

Back