Detailing question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finbreaker

Reaction score
We just shipped our 2320SL from North Carolina to California and I am going to give the boat a good cleaning and waxing for the upcoming season. I have never washed or waxed a boat before, but I was wondering if you just soap it down from the top of the pilot house to the bottom of the boat, rinse, and apply a coat of wax from the top of the pilot house down to the bottom of the hull? The only instructions and/or videos I have seen on YouTube just show people washing and waxing the hull, but not the pilot house. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Oh, I also want to mention that I would like to start with a clean slate since I am laying my hands on this used 2008 2320SL for the first time. I basically want to wash off all the bugs, road grime, and any old wax that the previous owner may have applied before waxing the boat myself. I have heard that regular dish washing detergent like Dawn is the best way to remove all the dirt and any left over wax from the boat, then once I get a good wax on the boat I can switch to a mild boat soap like Woody Wax or Johnson's Distributors boat wax. Thoughts?

My boat is old and use boat soap that removes grime and any remaining wax lol and rinse thoroughly. Then use a cleaner or cleaner,/wax because it is slightly oxidized, then a good wax neither paste or liquid and try to give the top sides another coat. This is a loaded question. Then next time I washed it use mild soap and wax that remove wax called star brite sea safe boat wask and wax. For cleaners I use collonite. 3m or meguiars. Same for wax and prefer collonite fleet wax but it requires more effort and gives the best shine and last longer .

I first use Mary Kate on/off to get any water marks or tough spots. Wash hull and apply cleaner wax I like 3m. Sometimes that's good enough or if want glossier finish give a second coat of usually liquid wax. I like to do hull all at once before launch but pilot house and top side gets done in the water with a fresh beer. I usually do top side in small when I'm bored projects. Use the 3m cleaner wax on all your stainless rocket launchers, cleats, etc. shines them like new.

If you want to remove the dirt and the old wax, scrub her down with Simple Green.
Simple Green will remove the wax.

After you wash, you will most likely want to use either a mild rubbing compound (which also removes wax) and/or a polishing compound.
It all depends on how dirty or dull the gelcoat is. That will determine how agressive you need to be to bring the finish back.

Once the gelcoat is how you want it, it is time for wax.
You have the option of using a cleaner wax, or a simple liquid (or paste) wax, depending on the protection you are after, and how picky you are.
Once your boat is clean and waxed, you can maintain it with a combo of Orpine boat soap and Zep citrus degreaser and soap.

Look in the 'Projects' area for my annual "Spring Commissioning" threads to give you an idea on what is involved, and how to do it.
My boat is a 1996 model, and using various products and methods, my pilothouse and hull show better than new.

BTW... yes, top down (pilothouse down to the waterline).
Good luck!

Thanks, great advice! I'll look for your post in the projects section.

Capt. Kevin, I really enjoyed reading your 2014 Spring Commissioning thread and I think I am ready to attack our boat, which I am sure will be covered in a layer of road grime, bugs, and old wax from the towing trip across the country! I had a couple of clarifying questions: First, I have never used an actual mechanical buffer and usually do all my waxing by hand, but my only experience is on cars and trucks, not boats! Would you recommend I purchase a buffer? Second, I notice you really like the Buff Magic product, but I noticed that Collinite also sells a Fiberglass boat cleaner they recommend as a prep for their paste wax application. I thought I might give that stuff a try. Third, you mentioned in one of the posts that you waxed your outboard motor- what product do you use for that job? And finally, do you actually wax the large back deck area of the boat behind the pilot house? Thanks again for all the great information, I will put it to good use but don't think I'm going to be able to compete with your level of detail! I will be happy to get the boat washed and possibly waxed one full time for the start of our fishing season here in Southern California!

Oh, I almost forgot.. When you wash the boat with Simple Green, do you just pour it full strength in a bucket a scrub the entire boat and pilothouse, or do you dilute the simple green with water? I will only do this type of cleaning once and then after I get a good wax or polish coat on the boat, I will switch to a mild boat wash solution for future washings...

I would highly recommend a buffer. You can get a real nice professional shine. I bought a Makita a few years back and have been very happy with it.
DO NOT wax the deck or you will wind up on your butt.

Finbreaker":335vvrnc said:
Oh, I almost forgot.. When you wash the boat with Simple Green, do you just pour it full strength in a bucket a scrub the entire boat and pilothouse, or do you dilute the simple green with water? I will only do this type of cleaning once and then after I get a good wax or polish coat on the boat, I will switch to a mild boat wash solution for future washings...

Mix the Simple Green with water and it should clean everything fine. Use it as you would any other soap.
If the boat is really dirty, just use a stronger solution (or wash it more than once).

Finbreaker":2bxk3yfh said:
I have never used an actual mechanical buffer and usually do all my waxing by hand, but my only experience is on cars and trucks, not boats! Would you recommend I purchase a buffer? Second, I notice you really like the Buff Magic product, but I noticed that Collinite also sells a Fiberglass boat cleaner they recommend as a prep for their paste wax application. I thought I might give that stuff a try. Third, you mentioned in one of the posts that you waxed your outboard motor- what product do you use for that job? And finally, do you actually wax the large back deck area of the boat behind the pilot house? Thanks again for all the great information, I will put it to good use but don't think I'm going to be able to compete with your level of detail! I will be happy to get the boat washed and possibly waxed one full time for the start of our fishing season here in Southern California!

Remember that you boat is covered in gelcoat which is more durable than the paint on your car or truck.
You can use a high speed Makita, or you can use a simple orbital buffer. The choice is yours, as both will work.
Doing the job by hand also works, but my rotators won't allow it.

They key to bringing gelcoat back to life is not to spread the 'dead' gelcoat around.
Use whatever product you choose to remove the chalking, and keep it off.
That requires you to switch to clean pads regularly. Once the chalk is removed, only then should you wax.
If you wax over the chalk, no amount of buffing will make it look good.

Trust me... I've probably used every product known to mankind at one point or another over the years.
Find the product(s) you like, and go to it!
The amount of effort that you expend is directly related to how good a result you are after.

If in doubt, start small and experiment until you get the results you are after.
Everyone has their own idea of 'done' and 'good enough'. There is no right or wrong.
What level of perfection you want is an individual thing.
What ever you do, have fun and enjoy your boat. :wink:

Words of wisdom, to be sure. I will keep you posted on my progress! Thanks again for the information and advice!

I think I'm going to try the Woody Wax on the top of the pilot house and the back deck and all the non skid surfaces for that matter. Their website says the product is designed for those surfaces. I like the things I've heard about the Buff magic and Pro Polish so I think I will use that on the hull surfaces. I guess I can just use regular wax on the outboard since it doesn't have "pores" like gelcoat where the polish may actually seal those areas better..

Finbreaker":3m0ovpc8 said:
I think I'm going to try the Woody Wax on the top of the pilot house and the back deck and all the non skid surfaces for that matter. Their website says the product is designed for those surfaces. I like the things I've heard about the Buff magic and Pro Polish so I think I will use that on the hull surfaces. I guess I can just use regular wax on the outboard since it doesn't have "pores" like gelcoat where the polish may actually seal those areas better..

When you use the Woody Wax product, follow the directions and use it sparingly!
More, with that product, is NOT better.

Yes, a simple automotive cleaner wax can be used on the outboard.

All great advice!!

I have detailed boats for 20 years.
Here are a few thoughts.

Boat hulls oxidize due to the sun, so wax is basically a sun screen.
On/Off by Marykate is great for removing yellowing and rust stains.
Be careful this is an acid.

As for the hull, I use 3M compound with a polishing machine to remove oxidation.
Parkers are great hulls, I have detailed many, and I would recommend a very light compounding on hulls.

For wax, I use Collinite early in the season. This is a heavy wax and it will last on the hull.
As the season progresses I use Garry's cleaner wax on the pilothouse and in the cockpit area. I would recommend using this once a month during the season.

I also polish all the metal on board. I use Aluma Guard. It's a liquid spray and can be found at west marine. I wipe down the rod holders , window frames, hatch trim, rails and bumper guards.

And wax the engine.

Hope this helps

Hopefully I will get to do some fishing in between maintaining the moving parts and cleaning/waxing the boat!

Back