Diamond Seaglaze front window removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks i'll give that a shot. It would be a pleasure to really see out of the windows again. I used a cleaner last spring by Rain-X but obviously that didn't work well lol

When I was working on my gelcoat last spring, I hit the windows with the buffer at the same time.
Compound first, then wax. The glass was spotless. :wink:

Well, with the 60 degree weather today, had a chance to dig into the Window projects. D Seaglaze and Wynne.

Started at Mikes 2320 and took the adjusters off on the Stbd side, going to see if we can find someone to fabricate a new slide 5" longer (sorry no pics)

On the 2530 I took off the inner trim rings which are held on by square drive SS screws, which I think is a big part of the corrosion.

HPIM1883.jpg

HPIM1885.jpg

After those came off pretty easily I found the outer frames to be siliconed in and not easily removed. Which I figured would happen.

HPIM1886.jpg

The biggest discovery was the layers of wet salt behind the trim ring, see pic. I clean my windows a lot through out the season, but as I said before, the design of these windows sucks, there needs to be a better way to seal this area. I would suggest anyone who is having the corrosion problem at least pop of the inner trim rings and clean this area out. Check out the pic, those piles of salt were dripping wet, and my boat has been covered for about a month already.

HPIM1894.jpg

Plan now is to either paint or re-anodize the trim rings, still haven't decided.

I'm not going to remove the frames because they are not that bad and I think I would do more damage trying to get them out.

I also want to get new seals from DS and replace the old ones which have torn away from the frame.

I do know this, when I put everything back together, all SS hardware will get Tef-gel applied.

HPIM1895.jpg

I would like to pop out the windows themselves.

Anyone know how the hinges come apart????

It looks like there is a nylon hinge pin but no visible way of it being fastened in, I tapped on it with a punch and hammer but no movement so I stopped. Anyone ever take these hinges apart???

HPIM1901.jpg

Brian.
I. did the same thing. Last year,ended up sanding the trim rings and sprayed them with Rustolium primer with gloss black finish coats. I also used a sanding sponge to scuff the window frames and applied Rustolium direct to metal aluminum colored paint with a foam brush (2 coats very thin paint). Reinstalled trims with new stainless screws and washers. My original intent was to pop the windows but I ran into the same issues.
I will try to take pictures tomorrow and post them, very happy with the results

Say hello to Mike and Pappa Z for me. :D Steve. Passing Thru 2120

This corrosion is from the boat being too closed up and not enough ventilation. It will always happen on the inside. Im sure the windows are corrosion free outside. My 2530 has the same problem. I bought it used and its an 05. I try to crack the windows enough but so it doesnt rain in. Helps very much. Also I sanded them down with 400 grit wet sandpaper then i used never dull each season and wax them. These pilot house cabins never have enough ventilation

Nope, I leave my back windows open with screens all the time and have Beckson rain shields installed in the front trunk cabin windows. Plus my boat is kept at my personal dock and I am on it almost every day during the summer, if only just to open the windows and doors to vent the cabin. I would bet my boat gets more ventilation than most.

Also, the outsides are easily washed which is done each time the boat is used, not so with the inside.

My theory, the corrosion stems from the SS screws in raw aluminum coupled with the poor design of the windows that allows salt to be trapped and not easily cleaned. I also run with the front windows open a lot so I guess that doesn't help.

Brian.

Heres some pictures I took today, as you can see I also painted all windows with the aluminum paint because they all had signs of surface corrosion. Substituting nylon washers in lieu of stainless may help with dissimilar metal corrosion. So far after 1 year no problems, I spray them with woody wax now and then.

Steve. Passing Thru 2120

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 199
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 199
  • photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 198
  • photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 199
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 198
That looks great Steve.

I was thinking nylon washers too, both outside and between the frames.

Did you just use aluminum color rustoleum or something special?

It looks like I will be following what you did. Cheap and effective vs. powdercoating or anodizing.

Steve I really like the way your windows came out looks good!!!

I am in the process of having new arms made for my windows, they were brought to a fabricator who is weighing the options currently to find the best solution so my helm side window can open fully out.

Latest posts

Back