Disappointment adverted with EDSON speed knobs....

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelyNauti

Reaction score
Montauk lat 41.04'18.33N lon 71.55'33.05 W
Ok so i have been on many other boats, and my buddies all have speed knobs and i kinda like em a lot so i go on line and read all about the Edson and bla bla bla ....tI buy the black n chrome for inside and buy a all stainless for the second station.........I follow the instructions exactly and the install perfectly or so i thought.......

went out on rough seas and guess what THEY SUCK..... I have em perfectly positioned and tightened to the max... and they still move........THER R getting returned cuz i found my NEWV LOVE

My buddir has a used 1999 Grady 232 and it came with a speed knob but he had no idea where it came from so i called and called and emailed ...everyone said it's no longer, its discontinued, they out a business......

I didnt give up and after 4 hours scanning the globe I FOUND EM the BEST SPEED KNOBS U CAN BUY...DU_BRO!!!!
These things r monsters and they dont move and you can really get your big mits on em...

So they came today and im off for 4 days of fishing ill post more picks of "Edsons" and the Du Bros..... soon

Attachments

• 1022091858.jpg
    1022091858.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,280
  • 1022091858a.jpg
    1022091858a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 1022091859.jpg
    1022091859.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,280
FWIW I put a strip of black hockey tape on the SS wheel first where I have mounted Edsons on 3 different SS wheels ... and none slip :D . One's on a smaller 13" wheel at the outside station, where there's more torque.

i had the same issue with my edson knob that i tried to add to the wheel. the issue was the wheel was smooth on the back side with no finger ribs. so it caused the knob to slide around. I think part of it is because of the metal part they want you to tighten down. You can always buy an edson wheel for 480 bucks with the knob...cheapos

Tried that too after calling edson

Problem is that if you r holding on to speed knob while driving in rough and in do mean MONTAUK RIPs rough water the knob will move ....Unless u are real skinny....
Im A very fit 186lbs and the knob had no ability to hold a fixed position...

Thanks for the tape thing , tried it but i Love the DU Bros too much not to have em any how the r so darn sturdy and comfortable too...

speak t u soon and thanks Dale.....

Got the black and metal Edson on my parker for about 6 yrs no issues of movement. Most of the time knob is used when docking and in close situations. Even in big bad Montauk! :roll:

Fish Montauk all the time. With the 23 Mako no problem without the power knob and now in the 23 Steiger with a power knob built into the wheel, and still no problem. Its all how the boat is operated.
To each his own.
Tom

YEP Im glad i guess driving at 35-44 mph in rough chop requires a beefier knob when you r on plane with 33' of boat and u weigh 195 and all u have is the knob in your hand........

Like i said TRIED the EDSON it was the same cost HATED IT
LOVE MY DU BRO it's BIG N BAD N BEEFY....

And it come with a grip adaptor to hold on the metal ..... doesnt require me to ADD Tape like some other brands.....

here's the last of this Topic post.........you little gremlins.....

Attachments

• 1024091705.jpg
    1024091705.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 1023091256.jpg
    1023091256.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 1023091256.jpg
    1023091256.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,132
Yeah yeah bla bla....bla..

I know but IF I NEED TO ADD TAPE to get a 75$ knob to hold gimmie the tape in the package and put it in the direction's too....

If you are going say 40 MPH in chop and holding a line while steering a big 2820 you need a knob you can get your hand on and HOLD ON TO...

I'm not an EDSON nay sayer and for all of you who use them to dock I am happy they work 4 u

IM HARD CORE balls to the wall and those Edsons just don't work for me in the rough water, not in a 2820 ,

Besides we all know That a "new guy" on Classic Parker CAN'T Possibly be right about something!!!

These cost $66 bucks and come with a plastic grip adaptor and really hold the wheel well , also the shape of the knob allows you to grip it two ways, over the top or split finger underhand!!!

Really comfortable and CHEAPER THAN AN EDSON !!!

DaleH":3aflyjks said:
FWIW I put a strip of black hockey tape on the SS wheel first where I have mounted Edsons on 3 different SS wheels ... and none slip :D . ...

Blue Bloods..........There is no such thing as "hockey tape." I played hockey...and it is simply cloth-based electrical "friction" tape that has been repackaged as "hockey" tape. We could never afford the rebranded stuff, so we bought the friction tape in bundles of a dozen. :D :D :D

Dave

aka

I bought a Dubro speed knob in 2003. It lasted a few years before it totally rusted out from the inside. It started leaving stains on my console and I had to cut it off with a reciprocating saw.

To be fair to the OP it looked and felt good but could not stand up to a salt water environment.

Didnt know aluminum could rust?

the one on my buddies boat is from 1999 and looks brand new,

My old boat is from 2001 and my new ones are fine, r u sure u had the same model???

I just bought two and they r the same ones as my old one ???

Maybe the hardware was bad??

They were the same as pictured in your thread. If I remember correctly it was the 4 Allan bolts and what ever they threaded into that rusted. They were not aluminum.

My boat is kept in the water uncovered 360 days a year.

Here is a picture from 2003. This picture is actually of a ClassicParker forum member that fished on my boat. I think he may have bought one too. The steering knob is visible but a poor quality picture.

jdvasnook.jpg

The bolt that held the knob to the unit rusted from the inside also.

I was not aware that the hardware that came with the unit in the package was not part of the unit. :shock:

Thank you for sharing that with me. :roll:

Back