Discoloraton of Stainless Steel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunky

Reaction score
I am soon to be a 1st time boat owner and am considering the purchase of a pre owned Parker 2520. The boat is very clean but there is some discoloration on the bow rail and the tow ring. The bow rail in places has a slight orange cast (soft rust color). The tow ring bolts look like there is some rust leaching and there is a small place on the fiber glass that is stained.

Has anyone else experienced these problems and is there a way to clean this up?

A spray bottle with medium strength acid (forget the name but it's used for cleaning new brick and available at building supply stores) then rinse with a hose will usually clean up mild rust stains easily.

I use Snobol toilet bowl cleaner to remove these stains. You can find Snobol on the cleaning supply aisle in any grocery store. Take a rag and pour a little on the rag and apply it to the stainless and affected gelcoat areas. Make sure you don't get this on your hands! Wash it down and you can add a polish to slow down the discoloration.

Burtona":1bmkvezr said:
A spray bottle with medium strength acid (forget the name but it's used for cleaning new brick and available at building supply stores) then rinse with a hose will usually clean up mild rust stains easily.

Muratic Acid? I believe that's another name for hydrochloric acid...I use about any brand of metal polish around. WalMart has some called "Blue Luster".

For tough SS stains I like the liquid version of Bar Keeper's Friend. For small/light stains, Never Dull also works great!

Stainless steel is exactly that, stainless, not stain or rust proof. All you need is a little maintaince to prevent the discoloration.

Thanks all for the responses! I will check the grocery store for "Snobol" but where can I purchase the "Bar Keeper Friend" and "Never Dull"?

Barkeepers friend can be found in grocery store.

Megabyte":3pbvlwrf said:
Ketchup?!

I love this board! :D
Ketchup is awesome on bright brass, but don't use it (ketchup) or any aggressive cleaner on items sprayed with a clear lacquer finish.

Back