Dive platform & ladder install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaginCajun

Reaction score
Dive Ladder install (adventures in 5200)

I finally got around to installing my dive platform and ladder. The install went rather well due in part to the good nuggets of advice I gleaned from this and other sites. The boat is a new to me 2330 Pilothouse. The swim/dive platform was a custom one made by Doug Zelin at Waterway Marine in Port St. Lucie, the ladder is an Armstrong 4 step swing ladder.

Doug was fantastic, a true craftsman and more than kind especially since it's difficult when and engineer tries to explain to a welder how to build something (read...dumb engineer didn't know his brass from a hole in the ground when it comes to fab). And to boot he did this remotely via phone & email. Can't say enough about his work check out his ebay store or PM me for his contact info.

I picked up the ladder at Crook & Crook online for a good price (~$225). All in with shipping etc, I'm over $600 but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I feel I was able to maximize the available transom space.

The learning for me was working with 5200. This stuff is sticky, gooey and gets everywhere if you're not careful. Another challenge was simply drilling & screwing in the bolts screws. I'm sure there was a better way to get a more perpendicular angle but I wasn't able to do so and ended up putting in some with some angle to them. Also, I did this totally alone without help from anyone (the install that is), so I was pleased with my clever strap.

The top mounts are through bolted with 1/4" x 3" and for the bottom I used 14x2" screws. Use of 5200 was liberal and that's where the mess came in....but have no fear; WD 40 is your friend. This stuff did a fantastic job of cleaning up all of the stray 5200. Although I painstakingly removed as much as I could with a razor blade as a squeegee I would have been equally effective just wiping up with a paper towel and dousing everything in WD-40 and wiping up.

So far so good, have yet to dive with it yet and after I do I may reconsider the angle of the mount which could be tweaked easily with a spacer of some sort.

Here are a few photos.

Attachments

• resize-1.jpg
    resize-1.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 564
  • resize-2.jpg
    resize-2.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 564
  • resize-3.jpg
    resize-3.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 564
  • resize-7.jpg
    resize-7.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 564
  • resize-5.jpg
    resize-5.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 564
  • resize-11.jpg
    resize-11.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 564
Nice and sturdy, good job. I also noticed a couple more interesting mods--the jackplate and what looks like splash board/rear seating combo. Got anymore pics of this area? What's the reasoning for the jackplate? Six inch offset means 6" more clearance when the outboard is tilted up? How's the perfomance and holeshot?

FYI, if you have constant water in the bilge, the rigging cables coming out of the bulkhead is the culprit. When it's rough or in following seas, water will splash on the cable which acts like wicks channeling water into the bilge. I ended up gunking up the area with silicone (not the pretiest but I was too lazy to re-rigged the cables with a nice rigging gromet.)

Attachments

• temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 528
Nice looking dive platform that should work out great!

Phil":3vk9xwjt said:
Nice and sturdy, good job. I also noticed a couple more interesting mods--the jackplate and what looks like splash board/rear seating combo. Got anymore pics of this area? What's the reasoning for the jackplate? Six inch offset means 6" more clearance when the outboard is tilted up? How's the perfomance and holeshot?

FYI, if you have constant water in the bilge, the rigging cables coming out of the bulkhead is the culprit. When it's rough or in following seas, water will splash on the cable which acts like wicks channeling water into the bilge. I ended up gunking up the area with silicone (not the pretiest but I was too lazy to re-rigged the cables with a nice rigging gromet.)

Here are some more pics of the rod holder / splashboard. It came with the boat. It's handy. I like the fact that it can be turned around. I'm thinking of installing two tank holders there for more scuba tank storage BUT fear that cramming more weight in the back might be a bad idea.

I'm glad you pointed out the hoses. You're the second person to do so recently and I hadn't considered it. I haven't had an issue yet but definitely see it could be an issue. I aim to fix it soon, just not quite sure how to do so. Silicone or great stuff is one way but I wanted to research it a bit more.

The jack plate was put on by the previous owner. In fact it really hasn't worked since I bought it. I'm kinda glad its jacked down though. I suspect a wire/connection/ground somewhere but it hasn't been a priority so I've ignored it so far. Yes it does give a few extra inches of clearance when trimmed up so that is nice as well. If the rod holder/splashboard is turned around the engine just hits it when trimmed up fully.

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4
Looks like it turned out really well. One thing I'll warn you about - don't let divers use the swim step without the ladder attached. That bracket absolutely EATS wetsuits. I've had probably 4 guys ruin their wetsuits on mine (basically the same setup, also fabbed by Doug). Now I warn people to use the ladder (and I use it even though I don't need it, and with long freediving fins, it doesn't work all that well).

Now I'll tell you how to get a cleaner install with sealant.

Mock it up. Using a pencil....NOT a Pen. Draw a circle around those plates.

Remove the ladder. Using 1/4in 3M Fineline taps because it will stretch and turn the radius. Tape back 1/8in to the outside of the pencil line.

Then some 3/4in tape to the outside of that.

This is a example:

You run your finger around where it squeezed out and it creates a perfect fillet on sealer just to the outside edge of the flange.

100_4128.jpg

That and you used to much sealant. But yes....All that stuff is a PITA!

Back