Diving From Parkers.... Modifications?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, ive been looking into the possibility of doing so scuba diving in the atlantic off the boat for a little while (after several experiences i had on charters, ive decided i can do better :shock: ). anyway, i was wondering if anyone around here dives from their parker, how it is as a dive boat, and what modifications were made to the boat- tank racks, ladders, etc. thanks! :D

Great Question!

Parkers make EXCELLENT diving platforms, and it's the primary reason I own one. Since you are an experiend Parker owner you already know about the huge cockpit, and stability of the low deadrise design. Because the freeboard is moderate, entry and exit is a lot easier than on most vessels.

As for modifications, I have several major and many minor that make our diving more enjoyable. I have fabricated horizontal tank holders that are mounted beneath each gunwale and set off the deck on oak saddles. Tanks are out of the way and secure.

scubatube.jpg

I have also modified a rod-holder in Stb gunwale to hold our hand-spears. I ran PVC tubing under the gunwale to the deck (over the rod holder diameter) to keep the spears from moving around and boinking toes. You can see it in the stb aft gunwale holding spears below.

(Don't forget the Boat Dog. They make excellent spotters)

boatdog.jpg

compare.jpg

Mounting the dockbox that you see the divers sitting on above was covered in this project :

Dockbox Mounting Project

I added a 3-D chartplotter to give me better "eyes" on potential dive spots to avoid wasting time on not-so interesting bottoms.

wall.jpg

Here is a link to the 3D Chartplotter project:

3D Chartplotter Project

As for ladders, we just use the OEM swim platform with a rope stirrup to extend below the folding ladder. We have a notch-transom Parker so we don't have a bracket. I suppose the bracket would make a great swim platform, but I don't have any experience with that.

Every dive team develops their own little tricks and routines over time that make the diving easier and more fun. You'll come up with lots of your own I'm sure. You can bet the fact that you own a Parker will be in your favor!

Have fun and be safe!

John

Do love that dog.....what a perfect golden, and a great disposition from what I've seen in other posts.

Anyway. You know I have said that my Parker 23 DV CC was the best boat I've owned. But, now that you mention it, the PH proved even better for diving because of the large cockpit.

I dive 4 easily. Plenty of room for four anxious divers to scramble into their gear. Two usually sit on the live well seat and two on the transom easily supporting their tanks prior to splashing. On egress from the water, we take off our fins and climb up the ladder in full gear with no problem, sit up on the transom backward until someone helps with the gear if needed.

Tanks are stowed vertical in a metal six pack rack that sits directly in front of the livewell seat on a mat, which is great for CG purposes. The rest of the gear gets stowed in the transom boxes.

The PH is a great utility platform for just about anything from concert going on the ICW, diving, fishing, cruising, and camping out. So, to answer your question.....no modifications necessary on my boat.....worked fine right out of the box.

jim

grouperjim":2qw8y5ow said:
Tanks are stowed vertical in a metal six pack rack that sits directly in front of the livewell seat on a mat, which is great for CG purposes.

Coasat Guard :?: ?

Oh ... I get it now, for Center of Gravity purposes ;) .

I own a 2300CC DV with the bracket,I use the OEM armstrong ladder with no problems what so ever,I sit on the bracket put my fins on (no tanks,free dive) and off I go,to get back on,its even easier.

As for mods,I use a Max Holding system to secure my spearguns which works very well and also out of the way,they have same type of system for Tanks,they are great.

Great boat for diving as there is so much room that 4 of us free dive with all gear and room to spare.

Robert

Robert Cibran":2x5wodhg said:
I own a 2300CC DV with the bracket,I use the OEM armstrong ladder with no problems what so ever,I sit on the bracket put my fins on (no tanks,free dive) and off I go,to get back on,its even easier.

Yeah, I figured as much! :D

Now I'm jealous of all you bracket-guys :cry: :cry:

Although that would be a way-serious mod to make (adding a bracket) just to make it easier to dive. I think Dale just put a teak swim platform on Miss Teak, maybe I'll review his project. 8) 8)

Parkers are popular dive boats up and down the east coast. There's a cable-TV produced show called "Divers Down" that is syndicated by the Water Channel and other cable outlets. I met the host, Mark Stanton at a couple of the boat shows. He films his shows off of Parkers whenever he can, and even devoted one entire episode to diving from an all-Parker "fleet" out of Boston. I think the Parker Factory used to be one of his sponsors. Not sure if they still sponsor his show or not, but he's a serious Parker supporter because it's tough to find a better dive boat.

I dive 4 to 5 divers off my 2300 DVCC. I have mounted 6 roll control tank
holders on the boat and built a PVC 6 tank rack that sits in front of the cooler seat foward of the console. This will allow me to carry 12 tanks, keeping 6 of them foward to help keep the bow down. Underneath the bow casting platform and inside the foward "seating" storage is where we store our gear bags. I'll try to post a picture of this later.
The neatest custom feature I have installed for diving on my boat is the custom dive ladder. My boat is a 2001 model and the original owner did not opt for the dive ladder installation on the Stainless Marine bracket. I had a local aluminum marine fabricator bulid me a "fins on" dive ladder so one can just swim up to the boat and climb out without having to ditch their gear or fins. The only thing I wish the Parker had was a walk-thru transom door with a smaller insulated fish box to one side like the Grady's. Its a PIA for some to crawl over the rather large transom/fish box with all their gear on.
Also I cant say enough about the 12"x24" tabs I installed, it really helps the boats perform both in planning and in the overall ride, but thats for another thread.

Attachments

• Ladder.JPG
    Ladder.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Boat Bow.JPG
    Boat Bow.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,091
Keith,

Wow, that ladder is an impressive apparatus... in the photo, is it in the "stored" position? Is is hinged somehow to the bracket? Is there a "lock" that somehow holds it in place in the "down" position?

John

John,
The ladder is hinged to a mounted plate that is thru bolted to the swim platform.The hinge itself is made of aluminum pipe or tubing. A smaller ID pipe/tube slides into the larger OD pipe/tube that is welde d to the mounted plate and ladder. It is held into place by 2 screws on the outer edges. I can remove the ladder in just a few minutes by unscrewing the screws and sliding the smaller ID tubing out from the larger OD tubing welded to the plate and ladder. Imagine a "sleeve" style hinge.
The ladder will stow up against the top of the transom and I just tie it to the cleat under the hawse pipe. When the ladder is deployed it is not locked "down", it just naturally lays in the water ready to use due to the lead weight poured into the bottom ladder rungs. It really works well and like I said we can get out of the water with all our gear on.
I can take futher pictures if anyone would like to have their own built. I cost me $185.00 installed andanyone that does marine fabrication can build one.

Back