Docking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeD

Reaction score
Hey all,

Took delivery of my new 21 DVSC on Thurs, then took her out for a ride and some light fishing again on Sat. LOVE THE BOAT! I'm in a temp slip @ the dealer, and will be moving her north soon. In the mean-time, I need to practice my docking. Its been about ten years since I have operated a boat and I had a hell of a time getting her in the slip! Any tips, suggestions or references appreciated. I actualy need to conquer both types of docks. Right now, the boat is in a larger slip that does not have a floating dock. So, when I come in, I need to tie up to two pilings, and then tie up my bow lines to the dock. To me, this alomost seems impossible to do alone. Luckily I have the option of docking however I want(stern-to or bow first). When I move north to my perm slip, I will need to back in and the dock floats. Again, any help appreciated.

Mike,

There are a number of good books on the topic. One that I found very useful is "Boat Docking: Close Quarters Maneuvering for Small Craft" by Charles T. Low. I got my copy on Amazon.

CapeCodFrank":2dzl19b1 said:
Mike,

There are a number of good books on the topic. One that I found very useful is "Boat Docking: Close Quarters Maneuvering for Small Craft" by Charles T. Low. I got my copy on Amazon.

That book even has a web site.
http://www.boatdocking.com/

Hi Mike,

Read this: http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Pretty much when docking:

1) go slow
2) practice in many conditions (wind current)
3) have a telescoping pole handy and accessible
4) windows open
5) if you have a U-slip with two pilings forward, and the slips are large (ie the neighboring boats bows are not sticking way out ahead of the pilings), use a piling to "fulcrum" off of.
6) ignore others on your boat (make sure little hands and feet are all inside first)
7) ignore chucklling spectators.
8) go slow
9) go slow

Wow these other guys are fast. I was composing my post when you got advice for the same thread with even more info.

ParkerSal":2uqrd9uo said:
Wow these other guys are fast!

Yes ... indeedy that the early bird gets the worm. But remember ... the 2nd mouse gets the cheese ;) !

One thing you have to learn is how your boat moves.This is not like a car when you hit the brakes you stop.You have allow for your forward motion and how much you need to correct.Like anything else it takes practice.I could thread a needle with my old boat,but I'm sure I'll have a learning process when they dump my 2120 in soon.I might have to back in now since the 2120 has a longer pulpit.I'll play with it till I get the feel how the whole boat is going to operate and make adjustments from there.Good luck this season with it.
I bet you have trouble sleeping now.......... :wink:

Thanks guys, all very helpful. I'm taking a half day tomorrow to run down and practice.

...and yes John, I have been having trouble sleeping, but how can I complain? :wink:

Mike, welcome and if you can practice with a friend. An extra set of hands can come in handy until you get comfortable and go slow!

I'm in the same boat...literally....moved up from an 1801 to a 25 Sportcabin this year....first time at the new slip it took me 5 times to get in the slip...15 mph wind and very low tide.
Every time i've been out the wind has picked up b4 I came back in and docking has been a surprise....
I have found that with a little practice (intended or not), I'm learning to compensate for the cabin kiting a little more each time.
Note everything said here and then go slow, go slow....

I've got a 2120. In the begining, docking is one of those things you have to do in different conditons pretty regularly before you sort of get the hang of it. Then one day, nothing seems to work and you start all over again. But eventually, those days get fewer. I usually have to re-train myself each April.

I have to back into my slip between a pair of pilings. A couple things that have helped me is to put bumpers on the pilings, and run a line from a piling to the finger pier. The bumpers give me piece of mind that when I hit it, I won't do too much damage. The extra line gives me something to grab onto those times when I need something a bit more secure. Where I'm at, going slow allows the wind to turn me out of position. This hull seems to be more easily affected by wind than current. I face south on a south dock directly exposed to the bay, wind and current. It's a great view when sitting drinking my morning coffee on the pulpit, but the exposure makes docking a real adventure. And with skinny water 30' out, not much room to manuver.

Good luck.

John

I would say the most important thing is once you see that things are not going right, Do Not Try To Save The Event. Back out and start over.

IMO, second biggest mistake is "going slow". Go fast enough to maintain control of the boat overcoming current and wind. How many times have you made a great approach only to lose it at the last minute as you throttle back for the "soft landing"? You can always stop by reversing motor. The faster you go, the easier the boat will handle.

You're absolutely right. I've found that there is a very, very short window of opportunity for me where I can salvage a botched setup. It's easier to start over again than to pull myself off the shallows or push away broadside from the pilings and other boats.

Unless conditions are perfect calm and still, which is rare, my setup positioning (stern centered to the pilings) will change very quickly even if I've stopped all forward movement and side slipping. Backing into my slip at idle doesn't work, as wind and tide will constantly change my angle of approach. I have to be firm with the throttle and move quickly once I'm in position. The less time I spend outside the pilings, the better off I am. If I find myself coming in too quick headed for a piling, a short hard burst of power in the other direction is all that's needed. Throttle control and using prop rotation to fine-tune the stern angle is usually all it takes at that point.

A hidden benefit is that manuevering in a protected marina or gas dock is a lot easier because of the practice I get at my slip. But after a long day out on the water, getting easily into my slip would be nice for a change.

John

Tying lines between the back of the slip and the forward piling, on each side, has been key for me. It allows me to back partially in, and hand maneuver my 2520 back in her slip using the lines. I am glad I now can dock outside my back door, using new whips to boot.

I have a 2120 and have own alot of different boats in the last 50 years. One thing I can tell you is that each is like a woman--- different personalty and unpredictable. The tracking is different on every model,. It takes a lot of practice. But also like a woman, if you take care of her and pet just right, she will espond. :D :eek:

I took her out yesterday afternoon, and put all of your advice to work. I planned my departure, and return. The first was perfect. On the second, the wind blew me away from the slip. So, I aborted, made another pass and got her in! I was so happy about it that I got up at 4:30am to go back and try it again before work. Same. Nice and easy, and rather clean. I'll keep practicing, but thanks again everybody. :D

I love it when a plan comes together :D !

Once again, think of Classic Parker as your

... on-line Parker Owner's Manual

"Docking",,,is right up there with "Tabs" as a subject that almost all Parker owners seem to have an opinion on. :D

As a Mod-V owner with just a whisper of deadrise, I have often felt like a dried leaf blowing across a puddle on a fall day. Its really noticeable when I am sitting in a conga line waiting for a drawbridge to open on a windy day. I'm always the one facing into the wind, and still getting blown sideways out of line. I've learned to "play the wind" and plan my tacks like I was a sloop jockeying for a start position in a blow-boat race! :shock: :shock:

All boats are a compromise however, and when I have two fully-dressed Divers (300lbs+ each) sitting on the same gunnel without spilling a drop of my coffee I fully appreciate that skinny deadrise. Its a perfect fit for how we use our Parker. 8)

The most important docking maneuver I have had to learn is just how much of a reverse "burst" it takes to momentarily stop my forward motion without actually putting me in reverse. This is an easy thing to practice in open water under different speed and wind conditions. In my situation, the forward speed I need to maintain steerage varies infinitely by tide, current and wind, so no two docking events are ever the same.

cbigma":1cfgxc2c said:
The most important docking maneuver I have had to learn is just how much of a reverse "burst" it takes to momentarily stop my forward motion without actually putting me in reverse ..

cbigma":1cfgxc2c said:
... no two docking events are ever the same ...

More pearls of wisdom :D !

Back