Does anyone know the ram size?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
I'm getting conflicting info on whether the S1000 will work on my 2520.

I put the question directly to Raymarine. I looked at my manual to see if I could figure out the model and ram info however, the manual only shows the models used on the Yam 225. I have a 250.

Does anyone know the answer the questions below or how I can find them? Is the model of the sea star stamped on the hydraulics itself?

Response (Chris Martin) Raymarine 07/24/2008 04:00 PM

The 25 foot boat is right a the max limit of this pilot without taking the hydraulic ram size into account. But the ram size is the most important information before we can totally rule this pilot out. What is the cubic inch displacement of your ram? Or the make and model number? Are there one or two engines with one or two rams?

I have had the S1000 on my 2520 for 1-1/2 years now and I have been very satisfied with it for what I use it for. Point A to point B and I can sit back and watch while the boat takes me there. It will follow a charted course or a compass heading better than I can.

There are a couple of little quirks that you will get used to and it will not be a problem once you figure out how to get around them. I will be glad to tell you about them if you decide to buy one. I seriously cannot see a benefit to buying a more expensive autoplilot and I am glad I chose this one and saved the money. Maybe I just don't know what I am missing.

One problem I did have was with the safety kill swich. Mine just fell apart while we were running out one day. It did not affect the pilot and I called Raymarine and they had one out to me in about two days.

The remote contol runs down batteries over about a two month period so keep fresh ones in the boat.

That's very encouraging. I did get the info I needed off the boat and the Raymarine tech confirmed that the S1000 would work on my boat.

The other day, I learned that Raymarine will be releasing it's newest AP for smaller boats, called the SmartPilot X-5. No rudder reference, no need to cut hydraulic lines. Consists of a drive which fits right behind the wheel, a gyro compass, the computer(x5) brain and the display (s70).

I think the MSRP will be around $1500-$1600 before discounts. It's a little more than the s1000 but not as expensive as the TR1 or similar simrads.

Coming out end of august.

Attachments

• SmartPilot-X-Series_brochure.pdf
    210 KB · Views: 39
Here's the latest. The Sport Pilot drive only works on steering wheel shafts that are between 3/4" and 1" in diameter AND are tapered. :shock:

Tapered? Tapered where? Along the entire length of the shaft? Just at the ends?

I looked at mine. Doesn't look tapered to me...

D$@* !

Attachments

• Parker Wheel Shaft Depth Is it tapered.JPG
    Parker Wheel Shaft Depth Is it tapered.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 389
Megabyte":6fohjp1j said:
If you were to pull that wheel, you'd be able to see the taper.

Aha! (Sound of enlightenment). So the tapered part is at the end of the shaft. The Raymarine guy made it sound like the entire length of the shaft was tapered, or flat, on one side. It kinda made sense as the sport drive of their new AP mounts directly to the wheel and would need some flat area to "grip" as it made it's adjustments.

Thanks for the info Kev.

Latest posts

Back