Does Parker listen (read) Classic Parker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarracuda

Reaction score
I'm ocassionally reading posts from the site admin and the moderators asking other readers info about new Parkers and I'm really surprised that a representative from Parker is not occasionally around to respond. I work in the TV/Film Production and am commonly using forums for specific cameras and equip and those forums have reps from Panasonic and other large companies there to answer questions and learn what their customers care about. I am in no way trying to put out a bad message to the Parker Boat Co. but am surprised by the lack of interaction. Maybe it has more to do with the completely different fields (ever changing electronics vs traditional boat building??). I imagine that boat companies don't have the extra $$ to spend on having a representative portray their company carefully to all the boating forums out there but "ClassicParker.com" is THE Parker site.
Yes I have read that Parker is great at responding to questions sent to them but where else are you going to find so many Parker users with intelligent input on their likes and dislikes with their model Parkers. None the less I really enjoy this site and have just started learning and see more in my future.
Thanks

Parker had a site that they answered questions and mingled with boat owners on, but of course a few Jerkoffs ruined it and they shut it down.

jarracuda":nx9yswqf said:
I'm ocassionally reading posts from the site admin and the moderators asking other readers info about new Parkers and I'm really surprised that a representative from Parker is not occasionally around to respond.
I can assure you that Parker Marine monitors this site frequently!

However, with that said ... the decision to remain as two separate and distinct entities are the wishes of:

• * Me (as the founder & webmaster of CP)
    * My Moderator Team
    * and Parker Marine
I believe this aproach behooves all of us. Firstly from the ClassicParker community perspective, I wish that we remain entirely independent and 'arms length' from the Management perspective of Parker Marine. I wish them the right to make decision as it affects their family business ... and I wish that for the CP Moderator and MGt Team - to function as best we can - in our mission. Remember, we LOVE their product sooooooooo much that many of us dedicate bandwidth, time, and money to keep this website self-sufficient, moderated, and running ... and all for free too!

While we love their product and support, we are not above questioning a factory decision here or there, of which there are very few legitimate ones IMHO (when you look at the whole picture of them being in business first and foremost to sell a product).

Secondly, I wish to remain at arms lengths with Parker dealers. We have had a few GREAT area Parker dealers support the efforts of the CP Community, (see the 2006 Annapolis, MD Parker rendezvous posts) but not all dealers share in this vision. In my own neck of the woods, I cannot get my local dealer to acknowledge the existence of nor practicality of this CP website. I am to tell them how to conduct their business? I think not ... and I too would expect the equal respect.

FWIW many here began calling ourselves the "On-line Parker Marine Boat Owner's Manual" due to the high quality of our content and contributions that many here have made. It is my intention to keep the morale, spirit, and postings here honest and positive ... and as you have seen, while seldom, I will edit out any conflict and/or disparaging discourse that has caused many other websites to fail or become 'flamefests'. I fully intend for the CP 'Signal to Noise' ratio be the HIGHEST of boat owner site on the web.

Lastly, our resident Moderator CBIGMA does communicate is a somewhat 'official' fashion with Robin from Parker Marine, but in a way so as to ensure them that our intentions are to further support the satisfied ownership of those who own and enjoy Parker boats. John occasionally checks in with Parker to check the pulse of their interest in our little CP community here. Who knows? Perhaps in the future Parker may consider us as an ideal resource to them in the launch or piloting of new concepts or ideas.

It is my intention that owner's USE the Parker dealership and factory for questions and/or concerns specific to their hull. That is the relationship that Parker established and I fully intend to respect that desire.

Thank you Jarracuda for your input into this topic and I do hope that you understand my position ... as this is 'Parker website #3 or #4' (depending on whether you count the former Pilot House site) ... and I intend for it to be the BEST and LAST effort for ClassicParker owners from now and forever!

Well said Dale.

An important "position statement" that helps us all recognize the role of ClassicParker in the Parker life cycle. 8)

Our independence will help insure our longevity.

John

Exceptionally well said, Dale :D

This site is really a supplemental manual for Parkers written by owners with true reverence and love for their Parkers. Everybody is willing to share selflessly. I, for one, really appreciate that.

Like you observed, many other so-called owner sites are nothing more than "flame" forums". And, like you, I believe that Robin Parker and crew appreciate what the we have to say...even when it gets to be "constructive" :wink: because they realize we just want our Parkers to be the best that they can be. Who better to be objective than a group of guys (and gals) who only want their Parkers 8) !

I know I got a little wordy here :roll:

Mac

Dale, I couldn't agree more about being independent. It's very valuable to Parker owners that a site like this exists. I see and appreciate your passion for the site and have REALLy noticed a different vibe here compared to other boating sites. Truley, it's refreshing. My point was only that I thought that Parker reps would chime in here once in a while. For example there was a question about would new Parkers come with larger tabs. I just figured that a Parker rep might want to answer that question because Classic Parker users care about the answer so much (maybe fanatically_ha!). Maybe they do chime in and I haven't noticed because I'm a relatively new CP user. Anyway I really like the site, I obvously love the boats, and I never meant for this to be taken negatively in any way--just constructive.
Thanks for your time.
Jared

IMO, no good can come from "Parker reps" offering opinions/facts/comments here. Same goes for any manufacturer, I frequent some car/truck/motor forums and have never seen any company reps commenting.

Many of the most asked questions here are answered at Parker's website. How many are aware Parker even covers "reccomended wax" at there "Parker Faqs". Here's a hint...it's not Woody Wax! :D

Most manufacturers relie on imput from retail dealers, and IMO perfer to stay OUT of the consumer/dealer/opinion/fact loop.

By the way, any question I have emailed to Robin has been responded to within 24 hours. Got a replacement latch for a hatch for free when I offered to pay for it. I think it would be hard to find much better customer service than Parker provides.

If you have a question, send them an email!

FishFactory":3c50jr64 said:
How many are aware Parker even covers "reccomended wax" at there "Parker Faqs". Here's a hint...it's not Woody Wax! :D

I haven't been to the company FAQ area in awhile, and I don't remember seeing that one!
Time to go take a look!
Thanks FF! :wink:

FishFactory":18tzporx said:
IMO, no good can come from "Parker reps" offering opinions/facts/comments here. Same goes for any manufacturer, I frequent some car/truck/motor forums and have never seen any company reps commenting.

Many of the most asked questions here are answered at Parker's website. How many are aware Parker even covers "reccomended wax" at there "Parker Faqs". Here's a hint...it's not Woody Wax! :D

Most manufacturers relie on imput from retail dealers, and IMO perfer to stay OUT of the consumer/dealer/opinion/fact loop.

I personally know at least three manufacurers' reps who routinely monitor and reply on various boards. And, I'm sure there must be others as well. None of the three I know identify themselves as speaking for the companies for which they work but will correct bad information given out by people posting on these boards. Also, none are paid, or assigned, by the company(s) to perform these services. All three I know do this on their own time and on their personal computers. I will not identify them but two work for engine manufacturers and one an accessories company.

FishFactory":eje1091z said:
IMO, no good can come from "Parker reps" offering opinions/facts/comments here. Same goes for any manufacturer ...

I know that 'if' some erroneous data was presented about a boat here, it most likely wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny and/or questioning of the 'Parker nation' represented here. But I also know it would be pointed out to us for correction - to clear the record. To me ... that's a win-win, and that's really to the heart of these forums.

Last point, I believe that Mr. Tom McGow, aka 'Tabman', of Bennett Marine trim tabs does an outstanding job for his customers, his company, and the boating industry with his on-line approach taken on various forums.

DaleH":2hcrh43s said:
FishFactory":2hcrh43s said:
IMO, no good can come from "Parker reps" offering opinions/facts/comments here. Same goes for any manufacturer ...

I know that 'if' some erroneous data was presented about a boat here, it most likely wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny and/or questioning of the 'Parker nation' represented here. But I also know it would be pointed out to us for correction - to clear the record. To me ... that's a win-win, and that's really to the heart of these forums.
quote]

I should re-phrase. By "Parker reps" or any other "manufacturer reps", I meant someone who posts here under the umbrella of Parker, Yamaha, Merc or any other manufacturer. Otherwise, IMO the're not "reps". Even the "Official McKee Boat Site" at that other forum is seldom addressed by McKee reps.

ClassicParker with ParkerNation is an excellent source for Parker info. I have watched Parker Boats grow from a small, unknown (I used to have to explain what a Parker is) boat company to a nationwide brand and see no reason why ClassicParker can't grow the same. :wink:

FF, wow. You said "IMO, no good can come from "Parker reps".
That's saying you haven't appreciated any info from Tom at Bennet. Of course it's just my opinion but man I love to hear from him as he's explaining details of tabs in which no one else here really knew the answer.
Oh well, probably just me. I'm new here so please don't pigeon me as negative poster. This whole things started as me being surprised that Parker didn't comment here. Nothing to do with CP or the way it's run.
Thanks to all. From here on out I'm only posting happy things.

**Picking up an 1801 tommorow.

I believe the distance between Parker Marine Inc, and ClassicParker is important. I also appreciate the way the webmasters here keep things running nice and smooth. I come here to share with other Parker owners...not duel with some dealer who is a competitor to Parker and who trashes them.

This site is of, by, and for Parker owners...not Parker Marine, not Parker dealers, not competitors of Parker. I like it the way it is, and believe we offer the best site for Parker owners, and future owners. If Parker Maine Inc. got involved here, someone would start using the site to bash the factory. Lets keep it the way it is and avoid all that crap.

Back