Dog Ramps

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
We will be getting a dog in a few weeks and am looking forward to introducing her to the boat this summer. I have been looking at ramps and such that would make it easy for a dog to board the boat from the water. I would appreciate advice on getting a new puppy used to the boat and recommendations on ramps.

Thanks in advance.

I've tried a few different kinds with limited success......part of the problem is that Joe Da Dog is well over a hundred pounds and the ramps dont stay real steady....spooks him.
The best I've used, and currently use is the PawsAboard model. it fastens to the swim platform ladder and has a brace system to keep it stable.
Most of the time I find it easier to just grab him and drag/hoist him aboard.
The various dog ramps I've tried are generally more of a PIA than they're worth......but would probably work better with smaller dogs.

I have the Armstrong dive ladder. Do you think that the Paws Aboard ramp would work with that ladder? It is hard to see how the ramp attaches to the ladder in the photos.

Hi Frank.

We pack a BoatDog and haven't installed a ramp yet. He doesn't follow us over the side often, but when he does there's always one of us in the water to boost his soggy butt back up into the cockpit with someone else tuggin' on the head end. :shock: :shock:

dob.jpg

Like Joe Da Dog, Scupper is in the 100-lb class and probably would have difficulty "walkin' the plank".

Please keep us posted on your Pup's progress onboard her new ParkerParadise.
Make sure you Post Your Parker Pooch when she climbs aboard!

Maybe when she masters her new Dog Ramp she can become an inspiration to all ClassicParker BoatDogs out here and us owners can stop draggin' their lazy butts back on board for them! :roll: :roll:

Keep us posted!

John

CapeCodFrank":r7s9c14w said:
I have the Armstrong dive ladder. Do you think that the Paws Aboard ramp would work with that ladder? It is hard to see how the ramp attaches to the ladder in the photos.

The PawsAboard has an adjustable latch system that the manufacturer claims will work with any ladder.
I've found it to be problematic at best....especially if there are other boat wakes in the area, which isn't unusual in most places where I would be using the dog ladder. It really washes around and gets loose.
I think that some day soon I'm gonna re-engineer the whole thing......customise it for my own application instead of the one-fits-all setup.

Even with my engine bracket I have a very hard time getting my 100lb Male Golden in the boat. Trying to pull him is very hard. I suppose getting in the water and pushing might help, but that ain't any fun.

He can get his front paws on the bracket, but it kind of stops from there.

John

Thanks for the info. I will post some pictures when we get her. She is a yellow lab, born on Feb 20. I don't think I will have any trouble hauling her on board this summer, but wanted to train her from the start. Our last dog was a Newf who was around 150 lbs. Thankfully we got the boat after she passed away and I never had to deal with her on the boat. For this dog, we decided to downsize!

Spend your money on a raw water washdown instead....Joe loves to be hosed down on a hot day.
Also trained him to pee in the scuppers so i can wash it right out.
Only need the doggy ladder when we're hangin out at one of the local beaches.

Wow! Training him to pee in the scuppers! Great idea. How many times did you have to show him what to do before he caught on? Since we are getting a female, I am not about to demo this for her.

Thanks for the laugh!

Megabyte":1f2ikr2i said:
Interesting reviews on the Cabellas page.
It seems that folks either love the product or hate it.

I noticed that also. I bet it's directly related to the size and agility of the dog in question! Bobo the Circus Dog can probably bound up the ladders on two hind legs, balancing a Rockfish on his nose. :shock: :shock:

Your standard-issue one-each BoatDog, size large, will be an entirely different story :roll: :roll:

CapeCodFrank":ri90buz1 said:
Wow! Training him to pee in the scuppers! Great idea. How many times did you have to show him what to do before he caught on? Since we are getting a female, I am not about to demo this for her.

Thanks for the laugh!

Seriously, it took a while....all of last year. Dogs by nature won't soil their "home area" unless they can't otherwise avoid it (caged or penned too long), But they WILL soil the same places repeatedly (bush, tree, mailbox post,car tire, etc). they will also tend to pee where another has peed, leaving their "mark".
I simply made sure to dribble a little when I went and as he started exibiting symptoms i would lead him to the same place. he got the idea.
Really I try real hard to not stay out longer than he can hold, or make sure to find a landing spot for a few minutes so he can do his biz on land.

Back