drift fishing in mv vs dv

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebuster

Reaction score
I own a 25XL and do alot of drift fishing and love the way I can keep my stern into the current which keeps my lines straight off the stern of the boat. I have the 16 degree deadrise. I fish a couple of freinds dv boats that almost always drift beam to sea (although they are not Parkers). You guys that fish dv Parkers drift beam to sea?

FishFactory,
I understand about how the wind direction and current direction effect the position the boat will have while drifting. What I'm saying is deeper cut boats I've fished on in the same conditions will drift beam to the sea while mine will usually drift stern to sea or current keeping my lines where I want them. I've had other fishermen after a tournament having observed the way the boat drifted while fishing near them ask if I had been power drifting because of how nicely the boat drifted. A good thing for sure. I was particularly interested to know if the 25DV Pilothouse drifted in a similar way or was more likely to turn beam to even with wind and current running in same direction.

My 2530 drifts stern to and it is a deep vee.

I would say it is more because of the pilot house than the hull. CC may be different.

My 2520 MVSC drifts stern to the wind, tho that might be because I fish with the pilothouse canvas rolled up and the windows open.
Never really thought about it before, but I do like how she drifts. :)

I have the 2320 DVSC and it also will normally drift stern to the seas unless the wind and the current are at odds to each other. My theory is that the pilothouse acts as a sail and catches the wind and points the boat down seas. Since boats are designed to go forward, once the boat is pointing down seas the path of least resistance it to keep going down seas.

My dv 2510 drifts stern to also. Lucky for me, with the layout of this boat it is the preferable way drift. It is very controllable. Art

Also a lot of people don't realise this but the outboard position makes a big difference in your drift. Our 2520 usually drifts straight as mentioned, but sometimes will turn 45 degrees or so to the drift depending on wind. The lower unit makes an effective rudder and by turning the motor you can change the angle of your drift quite a bit. Make small changes since it usually takes a few minutes for the boat to settle into the new position after you move the motor.

channel_surfer":5hcmlq4o said:
Also a lot of people don't realise this but the outboard position makes a big difference in your drift.
BINGO!

OB-powered boats typically drift with the stern to the wind as the hull pivots around the OB, which is further subject to current and drag.

Back