Dropping Anchor with Windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
I really like the windlass on my 2520 with one exception. When in the fully retracted position The delta anchor doesn't drop when I push the anchor down control, I have to walk forward and give it a shove, not a big shove but I need to manually push it out. Probably a function of too little weight forward and the weight of the chain. I may temporally strap 10-20 lbs of lead to the back side of the anchor head and see if that helps. Anyone else experiance this? Thanks

What you describe, I do all the time......But I have Remote control.....It makes things a Lot simpler.

Now.....If you want a self launching anchor, they make a pulpit that does that, but it doesn't fit a Parker well.

http://billyreynoldstn.com/portfolio/an ... llers.html

Remote Control:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--t ... --11866852

I've installed 2 of them now.....Love having it when backing u to shore. We put a stern anchor on the beach and can adjust everything very easy.
I wouldn't install another windless without it.

johnkn":c7w820ld said:
I really like the windlass on my 2520 with one exception. When in the fully retracted position The delta anchor doesn't drop when I push the anchor down control, I have to walk forward and give it a shove, not a big shove but I need to manually push it out. Probably a function of too little weight forward and the weight of the chain. I may temporally strap 10-20 lbs of lead to the back side of the anchor head and see if that helps. Anyone else experiance this? Thanks
I experience the same thing on a 2120. A small percentage of the time it deploys on it's own, but not reliably enough. It doesn't seem to be a matter of anchor weight, but rather the horizontal angle that the shank is retracted at. A heavier plow may even worsen the problem by trying to lift the rear of the shank, causing more friction to deploy. I'm at a loss right now, as the boat is 50 miles away at the marina and I have no pictures of it. I just keep forgetting to take a few minutes to study it. I went as far as keep a short 3-section boat pole in the pilot house, to "push" the anchor through the open windshield. I most always have to walk forward to give it a nudge. If you come up with something effective, I would be very interested to hear about it. I imagine others would too. Thanks.

Can you shim up the aft end of the anchor so its center of gravity is forward a bit? Take a small block of wood and stick it to the platform with some tape as a trial horse.
Be sure to let us know how it works. There are probably lots of us who need to do it too!

Just before I get to my wreck I give about a foot of slack, if it is not totally flat calm the anchor usually pushes itself off and hangs ready for me to hit the button when I am ready.

Lucky John":hlz7mt03 said:
Just before I get to my wreck I give about a foot of slack, if it is not totally flat calm the anchor usually pushes itself off and hangs ready for me to hit the button when I am ready.
I like it!! Low tech, but all technique.

Wreck fishing I usually have at least 1-2 others with me so I can always send one of them up, but I usually save them the trip to the bow by this method :mrgreen: It really works well if it a little bumpy lol

I run a Delta anchor perhaps more weight back on the pulpit.

Back