"Dry Weight" of 2320?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
First, thanks for everyone's patience as this "newbie" gets up to speed on Parkers... I promise I'l be a contributing "expert" sooner than you think... :)

OK, I've been searching all over (here, THT, trailering forums, etc..) and haven't found a satisfactory answer to what Parker REALLY means when they say that the 2320 has a "dry weight" of 4100 lbs for the 2320. Does this include the boat *as shipped* from the factory, with motor, bracket, & all electrical and controls installed? (no electronics or "options"), or does it just include the hull as it is popped out of the mold and finished?

I'm trying to figure out my margin of safety for towing a 2320 about a mile to and from the boat ramp a few times a month with a Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD (6,100 lbs capacity)

Trailer - 825 lbs aluminum
Truck - 57000 lbs (with fuel & driver)
11,800 GCWR rating for the truck

Leaves me 5,275 for boat, gear, fuel, & passengers.

If the "Dry Weight" includes the engine and controls, I'm probably OK as long as I don't overload the boat with gear, but if the 4100 lbs is the hull weight only, I'll be shopping for another truck real soon....

Thanks again for your patience. I've seen DaleH's excellent posts on this subject, but they seem to indicate that the "dry weight" does NOT include the engine or ANY rigging....

-Brent

The published dry weight does not include the motor or fuel. With a full tank you will be over the gc for your truck. This has come up a couple times, most people agree the 2320 needs a 3/4 ton or bigger truck, even some of those may not be rated for that much weight depending one the rear end ratio.

What year is your Tundra? I pull my 2320 with an 08 with the 5.7 liter and it does ok. My truck is rated at 10,200 towing and I know the boat, 150 gallons of gas, trailer, etc don't weigh that much. When I get a new truck I will probably get a 3/4 ton but the Tundra is doing fine now. When pulling the boat the computer says I'm getting 8-10mpg at 60mph.

My truck is an '05 double cab 4x4 - the lowest capacity of the entire lineup in 2005. Sounds like I need to start shopping for another truck. I'm sure there's someone here locally that would love to trade his gas-guzzling 4x4 F250 or Ram 2500 dually for my svelte 16 mpg plush leather DVD-Nav Tundra with only 50k miles... :mrgreen:

The guy I bought my 2320 from was towing his with an 05 crew cab. He towed it from MD to FL with the truck. I'm sure there are better vehicles to pull it with but you might be ok for a little while with your Tundra.

I got an email back from an engineer at Parker this morning. "Dry Weight" refers to hull ONLY and no engine, controls, or any rigging.

According to this engineer, the 2320EC weighs "around 4,000 lbs" for the hull only. My estimate with 1/2 a load of fuel and "normal" gear on an aluminum trailer is about 6,800 lbs.

There, now if someone searches for "weight of 2320" or "dry weight of 2320" they can find an answer. :)

If there is a file storage spot here at CP, I can upload the spreadsheet I used to calculate all the weights and share it with everyone. Or PM me and I'll email it to you.

Why not load and gas up the boat, tow her to a truck scale, and weigh the truck, boat and trailer. Then un-hook the trailer and weigh the truck and subtract from total. You need to know that data anyway for any TV you might be interested in to determine GCVWR. Setting aside wear and tear on your truck, the Tundra is probably capable of pulling the load. I'd be just as concerned about stopping the rig and whether it's legal.

Brent":lc4prkc3 said:
What are the road, traffic and ramp conditions?

Hopefully if I can find a storage spot in the area I am looking, it will be a 1 mile tow through perhaps 5 or 6 stop lights on flat surface streets. In other words, not too challenging. The ramp itself can be steep and slippery during a low tide, but at high tide it is pretty moderate.

I do see big trucks regularly spinning tires trying to pull their big Radon boats out of the water, but have not seen many Parker 23s going in and out (or at least I have not been paying enough attention)

I figure I'm around 8,000#'s on the trailer with a full tank and gear. Trailer is rated for 9.800#'s gross, galvanized, two axle. Tow it with an F-250 7.3 PSD. Truck know's it's there.

It's not the towing per se, it's the stopping. The ball rolling out in the street, followed by a child, and being able to stop, even from low speed. I've seen dually's pushed through intersections by oversized trailers at left turn speed-not pretty.

The PSD pull's it right up the hills and mountains. The F-250 stops it just fine.

JW

Honestly, I'd trade my really clean '05 Tundra Limited (leather, DVD nav, 4x4 etc) with 50k miles for a good 2001 PSD Ford F250 if I could find one with less than 200k miles that didn't have some yahoo-installed 10" lift and $20,000 stereo system... :)

My next truck will probably be a pristine 2001 F250 7.3 PSD Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 if I can just find one...

Sorry mines not available.............never lifted, stock stereo + XM. Until Ford get's it together on their new diesel I'm keeping this one.

jw

I find it hard to believe your concerned about that one mile tow.I pull a 2310 parker walkaround with a 5.7 tundra and have no problem at all.I have plenty of stopping power and on steep ramps it brings it out easy.That truck has plenty of power to pull your parker and the brakes to stop it.

SBH2OMan":2hkc4kdv said:
Good to hear! I'll be trying it out soon, so I'll let everyone know... :)

If a steep ramp is slippery don't forget to put it in four wheel drive,you will have no problems.Driveing on the road it's just common sense to take your time and stay out of the passing lane.I also approach all lights like they are gonna turn red.If you are driveing 65 mph and need to stop to quick any tow vehicle can have a big problem.My rule of thumb is very simple,take your time and pay attention at all times

RLA69":1nbh9svc said:
I find it hard to believe your concerned about that one mile tow.I pull a 2310 parker walkaround with a 5.7 tundra and have no problem at all.I have plenty of stopping power and on steep ramps it brings it out easy.That truck has plenty of power to pull your parker and the brakes to stop it.

I'm sorry,i thought you had the newer tundra with a 5.7 disregard my post it does not apply to your situation.

OK... I have an interesting update on this thread!

After tearing the boat apart (emptying EVERYTHING out of her including cushions, trash, etc) and then cleaning and restocking with a LIGHT assortment of fishing tackle (maybe 50 lbs or so) and 1/2 tank of gas, I took her to the scales today to see what she actually weighs..

Brace yourself.....

On a 2007 Pacific galvanized trailer (very heavy duty unit - weighs 1,500+ lbs) the boat weighed in at 8,020 lbs with no one aboard!! :shock:

Needless to say, I was STUNNED at how heavy this boat is! Based on my calculations using data from Parker, there is about 1,200 lbs I cannot account for.

There is no fresh water tank, no head (and therefore no holding tank) and nothing else unusual other than a simple swim step and a small bait tank (with nothing in it).

This weight did NOT include rods and reels, people, coolers, ice, beer, food, electronics, etc but DID include anchor, chain, safety items and a few cleaning items. The drawers and cabinets of the galley were EMPTY except for a third battery used to power the cabin.

Needless to say, I'm shopping for a beat up F250, F350, E250, E350, or Chevy 2500, etc to take her back and forth to the water!

-Brent

On a 2007 Pacific galvanized trailer (very heavy duty unit - weighs 1,500+ lbs) the boat weighed in at 8,020 lbs with no one aboard!! :shock:
I'm not surprised. My gassed up 2120 on a aluminum I-beam trailer weighs in at only 1500 lbs. less. Add 2', extended cabin and galvanized trailer/leaf springs and I'd be approaching that weight.

Because the mods we added, including a higher rated trailer, added a substantial amount to the GCVWR, I also opted for another TV to handle the load better.

SBH2OMan":370bpzr1 said:
OK... I have an interesting update on this thread!

After tearing the boat apart (emptying EVERYTHING out of her including cushions, trash, etc) and then cleaning and restocking with a LIGHT assortment of fishing tackle (maybe 50 lbs or so) and 1/2 tank of gas, I took her to the scales today to see what she actually weighs..

Brace yourself.....

Needless to say, I was STUNNED at how heavy this boat is! Based on my calculations using data from Parker, there is about 1,200 lbs I cannot account for.

There is no fresh water tank, no head (and therefore no holding tank) and nothing else unusual other than a simple swim step and a small bait tank (with nothing in it).

This weight did NOT include rods and reels, people, coolers, ice, beer, food, electronics, etc but DID include anchor, chain, safety items and a few cleaning items. The drawers and cabinets of the galley were EMPTY except for a third battery used to power the cabin.

Needless to say, I'm shopping for a beat up F250, F350, E250, E350, or Chevy 2500, etc to take her back and forth to the water!

-Brent
Hey Brent just let me know if you need to use the "Ford A Saruas" For a few pulls.....it's just sittin on the street makin the neighbors mad. 72 F-250 w/a rebuilt 390! Darn thing can pull a house!

MJ.

Back