Early Black Drum on the Eastern Shore

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
What is today? The 23rd of April? Too early for black drum?

I needed to get out fishing this afternoon after a rather unsuccessful morning of turkey hunting. The weather seemed right for black drum so that was the target.

First stop was Chris's Bait and Tackle where I bought a bushel of the biggest sea clams I've ever seen. I picked up some 80lb leader and some # 7 Gamakatsu circle hooks and a Monstor “Energy” (low carb of course).

We left the house at 4 PM and around 430 were leaving the dock at Willis Wharf.

4546581771_ce6421914d_b.jpg

After an easy 12 mile run to the secret spot (ask me and I'll tell you...) I anchored in 17 feet of water and started the business of fishing.

Picture of my secret spot
4546650009_1e5da017ed.jpg

Karen did her part and stayed in the cabin reading a book. That's her method. If there are fish being caught she will join in but until that time she is avoiding anything that might disturb a fish.

Karen's Method... she gives lessons!
4547228882_abfeb50b52_b.jpg

Did I say the sea clams were big? Those sea clams were so big that one cut in half made two nice size baits. I got two rods out with clams and a 3rd with some old frozen crab. I figured if a red happened to run by I might offer it a more appropriate meal. The sharks seemed to like the crab.

The sharks weren't that bad which was good because they were running around 3 to 4 feet. They were all smooth dogs tonight.

Easy Living
4546591665_56d99b5a6f_b.jpg

After tossing one back I noticed I now had the two other lines tangled and at least one of them had what I thought was another shark. After playing around I could tell I had a small drum so I cut the line with the vacant hook and deputized Karen to get the net. A few minutes later we had our first black drum of the season on the boat. The circle hook did its job and was easily removed from the corner of the mouth. I didn't even measure this fish but my guess was about 34 inches.

The tide was ebbing and picking up speed. I got the lines out again and probably 10 minutes later found the older brother to fish #1. It was a real subtle bite with just a blip at the rod tip and then some slack in the line. It was down there chomping on clam for about 15 seconds when I eased up the slack and slowly applied some pressure. Sure enough the circle hook set in the mouth and I enjoyed a little fight with this one. Again, Karen did a perfect job with the net and we measured this guy at 36 inches. Karen was surprised as I decided to release this one also. Around here we call these “good eatin size” and I must admit I usually release to grease. However, the season is early and there should be plenty of others to choose from.

Small Black Drum Released
4547230588_6b9b20b5a7_b.jpg

The bite seemed to stop right then and there and we accomplished our goal in 90 minutes or less. We had an uneventful ride in.

4547218844_01f489681f_b.jpg

4546597021_63c5ced1d0_b.jpg

The black drum are cruising around the Machipongo Inlet. The big ones are on the way (or maybe they are already there?)

Awesome report and even better photos Richard!
Quite a score for the end of April!

Lets hope that your success bodes well for the upcoming season. 8)

Richard: I second Megabyte's post. I used to live in Cape Charles and I'm wondering where the Machipongo Inlet is located?

Thats Awesome! Wish they would head a little more north. We get them by accident once in awhile.

Thanks Richard: I never fished that area but did fish the area area Oyster VA. That web site is great, I have bookmarked it for future use.

Thanks

Back