Electrolysis issue with my thru hauls

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunot

Reaction score
I keep my 2320 Parker SL in salt water at my dock year round. My bottom cleaner advised me that he has noticed electrolysis with my Raymarine thru hulls sounder and both Parker installed water pick ups. The water pick ups have orange flakes inside.

It does not appear that the thru hulls are bonded. No Zincs are attached to any of them and no place to place them.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Bruno Tonin. 2014 2320 SL happy Parker owner

is this a private dock or marina? I would suspect stray current, do you have a on board charger? I would think on the trim tabs there are anodes on my 2320 (2011) that's were they are, also the engine has them. I had a problem with corrosion on a boat twin Volvo duo prop in fresh water, the marina was checked also the boat never found the problem had to repaint outdrives every season. I would check with Parker for there installed parts and Ray for there transducer. 1 more? is the transducer brass or stainless.

it's most likely a problem at the marina, but that might be difficult to track down. For your own protection you'd have to attach bonding wires to any metal thru-hulls and connect to a hull zinc, usually mounted on the transom. As wajski said if you have trim tabs with anodes already there must be some sort of bonding system already on the boat that you can work with.

One other thing, if you use shorepower on your boat you can get an isolator installed on the dock pedestal that will help protect your boat from other boats with bad bonding systems that can cause the issue you're experiencing.

Check your thru-hulls often and very carefully. I small hole can sink a boat in a few hours....

Thanks for info. My Parker is at my home on a private dock. I installed a charger on the boat but now I only leave it plunged in within a few hours of using the boat. Prior to that I had it plugged in all the time

There are zincs on the trim tabs and just changed them 2 months ago.

The thru hulls are brass and my bottom cleaner stated that all 3 of them are showing signs of ware. I do not see a bonding wire attached to any of them in the bilge. My Neighbor is the Parker dealer in the area and he sent he sent bottom videos to Parker that my bottom cleaner made.

My though is to attach a bonding wire to all three thru hulls and I have purschased a fish zinc to attached to the bonding wire and place the zinc over the side into the salt water while at the dock. Could you advise on the best way to go thru the transom and place a zinc on the back end? I hate drilling holes but I will to attempt to correct this problem.

Thanks for the advise. I just want to keep my new Parker floating and not submerged.
Bruno Tonin- 2014 2320 SL

The best way to mount a transom zinc is to use two pcs. of ss threaded rod, with bedding and fender washers, double-nutted inside and outside the transom so they don't loosen when you change the zinc. leave enough length outside to hang your zinc. inside you need enough length to attach your bonding wires. If you use bolts instead of rod, cut a plate to go between the bolt heads on the inside with studs facing in through the plate to attach your bonding wires. Keep all the connections clean.

Latest posts

Back