Electronics for new 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it were a bigger boat, i would recommend Furuno, as i always do :wink: . however, for your size, something that heavy duty isnt really necessary, although their fishfinders are very nice. cant really go wrong with Garmin for your size range, lots of appropriately sized units for any budget. all their products are pretty solid. now, if you wanted to spend some serious coin (which im betting you dont) i would go with a single 8.5" Furuno NavNet 3d screen, with gps and blackbox finder. but thats probably gonna be a bit more than ya need :D . if i were you, i'd go for Garmin. and dont forget a VHF, definately go Icom on that one, a M422 would probably be your best bet. thats what weve got as a backup, never had a problem (knock on wood :wink: ). good luck, this is one of the fun parts :D

Are you considering separates, or were you looking for a combo unit?
Helm real estate, as well as how you intend to use the boat will determine what you eventually go with.

I owned a 17' Dusky before my present Parker, and I went with separates. Garmin GPS/chartplotter, a (POS) Ray fishfinder, an Icom VHF with DSC, and a proper VHF antenna.

Image-9BC0FCDE7C3C11D7.jpg

So what you need to decide first... is the amount of room you have at your helm, whether separates or a combo (plotter/fishfinder) would be better for how you use the boat, and how much money is in your budget.

Once you are ready to shop, go to http://www.boemarine.com/ for the best prices and customer service.

Like Kevin said get with Jim at BOE.
That dude rocks and won't just sell you something you dont need.

I boat and fish in your area. Here is my set up on my 21SE: A Garmin 540 and SH Quest X (great value). The antenna is on a ratchet and folds back when storing. The Garmin sells for real cheap now. And I second BOE; I have bought from him several times.

helm-1.jpg

Congratulations and good luck with your new boat.

I've got the Garmin GPSMAP 489 on e-bay for about $500. Its a combo fish finder and GPS and it works great. Unfortunately they discontinued it right after I bot it. :roll: I mounted it in the electronics box on the console (sorry no pic).

I also have a icom ic-m422 vhf radio and Furuno 1623 radar I mounted up high in the t-top.

Back