Engine hours

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marek

Reaction score
Do any of you find it funny how people would rather have an older boat with low hrs rather a newer one with higher hrs? I would rather have a engine that has been used and taken care of then one with little and no hours. With todays fuel things are much better being used then sitting.

I bought a 2004 2120 dvsc this year, the Yamaha 150 4 stroke had 221 hours on it and was well maintained. The reason for the low hours was it had a 9.9 kicker and after getting to the fishing grounds on the 150 it was all day on the 9.9 - To me this seems like the best of both worlds. Low hours (with good reason) and always professionally serviced with all the paper work in place. I on the other hand love the 150 and use it all the time; 282 hours and counting. I have always looked at it like a car, once you hit that 100,000 mile mark things are going to start wearing out and needing replacement, just from basic wear and tear on internal parts. With a boat motor I would feel the same way. As we start heading toward 1000 hours my mind wonders toward repower issues. I have no idea if it’s right or wrong, I’m a rookie and don’t know what to expect. But to me common sense says low hours and less use equals a healthier motor, as long as the motor received its routine maintenance by a qualified Yamaha professional. Just my two cents, but I don’t know if I’m right or wrong yet. I’m guessing based on my experience with the cars I’ve owned.

I was told if they lives past the first 100hrs its good to go. :lol:

Commercial guys run these new 4 strokes well over 5,000 hrs. If you go to any outboard shop they will tell you sraight up that they see alot more engines with a few hrs on them then higher hr motors.

Smittles1179":23obung3 said:
I'd be very happy if I could get 5000 hrs out of my baby.

Me too! That would mean at my current rate of yrs/year, I'd be 91yrs. old when it needs replacing. :lol:

Marek":zp2uhya9 said:
Commercial guys run these new 4 strokes well over 5,000 hrs. If you go to any outboard shop they will tell you sraight up that they see alot more engines with a few hrs on them then higher hr motors.
More hours=more continuous use.
I think its more a fact of how often and long you run your motor, rather than the actual hour-count.
Commercial folks (like us) often run the motor for 10-12 hours a day continuously. They idle a lot, which is supposed to be bad for them. We're a special case, and usually only run them like that for 3-6 days at a time, then the boat goes back on the trailer and sits for a few weeks. However, true commercial users use them like that every day, 4-7 days a WEEK, EVERY WEEK. All year long. For years at a time. There's no long-term sitting, no stale fuel running in them, and problems get noticed a LOT faster.

Back