EPIRB mounting

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baker thanks for that. I’ve contemplated mounting on the inside of the door as I have never operated the boat with it closed even when raining but I’m looking for more options

I mounted my non-autorelease in the same spot as baker so I can grab it on the way out the door. The autorelease should be mounted on the roof of the pilot house in order for it to release clear of anything that could foul it. That being said, what was up is now down if the boat turtles. The large vessels I work on have them all mounted on a horizontal surface with a clear view of the sky.

I don't have the auto release, so I mounted it inside the Pilot House.
See video.

I mounted the same EPIRB as Baker and Antidote, but in a slightly different location. I was afraid it would be a head-banger for someone sitting in the aft-portside seat... Obviously my 'fear' is unfounded! ☺
Here's where I mounted ours. If you like to see how I mounted it, here's a link to a video. and a picture;

1665668930716.png

Auto release should be mounted on top of the pilothouse in a clear location, but should be somewhere reachable without climbing on top of the pilothouse. The best idea in an emergency or abandon ship situation is to retrieve the EPIRB before leaving the vessel, set it off manually, and keep it with you, rather than relying on the auto release. You want the SAR teams homing in on you, rather than wherever the EPIRB happens to float away.

I keep my eprib in my ditch bag.
That’s basically where mine is now but with the auto release and deployment case I want to mount it up. Looks like mounting it vertically somewhere on the back of the pilot house might be the way to go if I can figure out where

The best idea in an emergency or abandon ship situation is to retrieve the EPIRB before leaving the vessel, set it off manually, and keep it with you, rather than relying on the auto release. You want the SAR teams homing in on you, rather than wherever the EPIRB happens to float away.
I know it’s overkill but that’s why I have PLB’s attached to the 4 life jackets in my boat (never take any more than 4 out at one time when outside the inlet).

I know it’s overkill but that’s why I have PLB’s attached to the 4 life jackets in my boat (never take any more than 4 out at one time when outside the inlet).
That’s not overkill. That’s smart.
I purchased a life raft two days after I witnessed a boat capsize in the inlet, is that overkill?

Nope, not overkill; smart!.... I too have a PLB EPIRB attached to the primary life vest as shown in the video I posted. The vest I wear when single-handing.

EPIRP, from what I understand it must be able to deploy and float to the surface without getting trapped. Several good comments listed above for sure. Just shy of being knocked out unconscious I would hope someone in distress has enough time to grab and deploy it. Be Safe Out There.

If you can afford it, that gives your crew the greatest chance of survival in an abandon ship situation. Overkill is underkill.

Back