Ethanol going to be banned in CA?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitesomthing

Reaction score
i just heard a news clip stating that ethanol is worse then gasoline for the ozone and they suggested it may be banned. Anyone else hear anything on this?
Chris

You'll hear more this week. One scientist's study out suggesting an upturn in deaths from increased usage.

In parallel, though not as specific to this research is issue of how much fuel gets used to make ethanol from corn. South American ethanol generation is more efficient as sugar is being used as the base ingredient.

Then, in the background is the concern about the ratcheting up of corn planting and the soil erosion associated with it. This planting will generate more ethanol but will help to increase food cost by siphoning off some of the corn feed and at the same time driving the cost of corn and corn-based products upward. The reason is the forecasted demand for gas substitution or gas enhancement can't be met by US corn production. There is a big gap in corn harvest needed versus what can be physically planted.

Dana

As a gas station owner, I can attest to the fact that ethanol is a pain, from many perspectives. I think that over time, we will find that the MTBE that ethanol replaces was really a pretty good thing and maybe we should have stuck with it. It appears to me that the "science" that caused us to switch to ethanol was not very complete or convincing. Time will tell.

Back