Every year there is something - 2004 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrannestad

Reaction score
I have had alot of fun in my 2004 2320 however it always seems like something is failing. The boat's not used excessively - only about 350 hours on it now. To me it seems the boat is solid but there is some lack of planning with the design, especially when it comes to design aspects that affect component performance, and perhaps some of the components are iffy. I guess I sort of want to know if this is normal as this is my first boat I have owned. I bought it used with 75 hours on it and spent a chunk of change so that I would not have to spend my time fixing things. Here is a list of the issues I have had that I can think of.

1) Two brass thru hull fittings in the transom at the engine splashwell corroded so that water was leaking through and around them and going down into the bilge 2006. Could have sunk the boat if I didnt catch it when I dropped it in in the spring.
2) Main electrical breaker failed twice. The breaker is in space at the transom that is connected to the space of the bilge and which is always wet. 2007, 2008
3) Springs holding in the screens completely rusted out and disintegrated. I do without. 2006
3) Horn failed 2006. Replaced
4) Bilge pump switch failed. Replaced 2007
5) Raw water washdown pump failed 2008 replaced 2009.
6) Seastar hydraulic steering ram seals failed, hydraulic oil for steering contaminated, seastar helm full of crap. Failed 2009. Seals replace and helm taken apart and cleaned last week. Hope it works. Inside of helm looks iffy.
7) Fuel water seperator mounted in bilge corroded and replaced 2009
8.) Cabin leaks since the day I got it. Havent figured out where the source is yet. Not good for carpet and metal inside cab.
9) Floor hatch in cockpit busted off. 2008. Live with it rigged with a rope.
10) Main battery switch failed. Replaced 2008
11) Through hull valve servicing the washdown pump siezed 2008. Replaced.

By the way, I can easily list as many good things about the boat too.

What he said.

The seastar seals last about 5 years, I did mine last year too on a 2003 vintage.

My grandfather always told me " the only way not to have problems with something is to not have anything". We have alot of toys,trucks and equipment and there is always something to fix at any given time.

Bryan 2530":rlvpwi35 said:
What he said.

The seastar seals last about 5 years, I did mine last year too on a 2003 vintage.

What should I be looking for ? :roll:
Mine is a 2003 vintage also
So for I dont see a problem as of yet :cry:

Yes salt and corrosion is major factor. However, I thought that they have been making the design for so long though that some of the issues would have been worked out. A space interconnected to the bildge is a bad place to put electrical components. The bronz through hull is at the waterline. Seems like they wanted it above the waterline and the weight distribution that they ended up with put it at the waterline. The horn - I have seen that issue in other posts. That is a no brainer.

I knew the seals went when I saw oil in the splashwell area and had to add fluid to be able to steer. Trust me, take apart the helm when it happens. Clean it and flush everything out. There will be gunk in there too.

Jeff_nicholas once told me to plan on spending 10% of what I paid for a boat per year on maintenance. His explanation, "everything on the boat is broken. You just don't know it yet." I found this to be pretty much true. Jeff lived aboard his sailboat for 5 years and made his living maintaining boats.

Mokee":2usnde4f said:
Jeff_nicholas once told me to plan on spending 10% of what I paid for a boat per year on maintenance. His explanation, "everything on the boat is broken. You just don't know it yet." I found this to be pretty much true. Jeff lived aboard his sailboat for 5 years and made his living maintaining boats.

:wink:

Does seem like a lot though. But fairly small things.

I had a Grady for quite a while, 7yrs. I put about 900hrs on her, she was 3 when I bought her, only did regular maintenace, fluids, plugs cleaning etc. No electrical issues, no corrosion issues etc I can think of.

I just bought a 10 yr old 2510. I am going through it now before I put it in the water. All the eletrical looks good (VERY SIMPLE) no corrosion to speak of. The gel coat I believe to be a better quality than the Grady's and the boat is solid as a rock and beamy.

I have had other boats of good quality as well and went through similar headaches as you though. You get em every now and then. Hang in there.

Sully":qlyecc4n said:
Bryan 2530":qlyecc4n said:
What he said.

What should I be looking for ? :roll:
Mine is a 2003 vintage also
So for I dont see a problem as of yet :cry:

You'll see red fluid laying on the bracket. Mine was fine for a few years but when it started, it went from fine to leaking real bad in about two months.
Easy fix though.

More freshwater and WD-40.

I have a 99 2510. I kept it on a mooring for a year and really noticed the difference when you don't have access to copious amounts of fresh water.

You absolutly need to soak all surfaces and especially those that are not in contact with rain.

Hydraulic seals etc.... just the way it goes.

I have a 2002 2510 with 885 hours on the motors (and probably five times that on the hull in the water fishing).

I wash her with fresh water when I come home, and keep a full storage cover over her. She looks almost like the day I brought her home from Tri-State Marine, Deale, MD.

I have replaced the horn twice and the Sur-Flow "Blaster Pro" pump twice. Those were not made by Linwood. I'll accept those as part of "regular maintenance."

As a career Army Officer, I learned the benefits of "preventative maintenance."

Dave

aka

Many of the items seem to be pretty typical, with the exception of the through-hull fittings.
I'm wondering... Have you noticed corrosion of any other in-water items such as trim tabs or engine zincs?

Corrosion of a through-hull fitting at the waterline almost sounds like a stray current issue.

I've said that about every boat I've owned. Some of your issues seem alittle premature for the age of the boat especially the thru hull failure. Megabyte made a good point about possible stray current possibly coming from another boat or another source. I've got an '04 and on my 3rd set of horns(which failed again), I removed my screens for reasons you mentioned, replaced seals on seastar ram,washdown pump needs to be replaced, also check valve at helm needs attention now. Also one actuator for trim tabs had to be replaced. I had a leak in hardtop which turned out to be a bad caulk job by electronics installer. Fuel feed pump failed first year in my Yammy. I consider these minor issues. My last two boats have been Parker sportcabin 25's and the best boats I've owned in my 40 yrs. of boating. Chances are whatever problem you're experiencing, someone at this site has dealt with it and can help you fix it. This was the case today for me with my helm problem. Good luck, Mike

Just a tip on the breakers...I used to stow my ropes in the same compartment as the breakers until I realized how wet it stays in there. I decided to keep the wet ropes in the cabin. I leave the hatch propped open when not in use to let the air circulate through. I have not had any issues since and replaced both main breakers prior within the first year.

All things considered there is room for improvement but price is always a factor. The horn issue could be resolved by changing the mounting angle or position but most of your other issues are not due to design but poor quality components not made by Linwood.

Think of these things breaking as an opportunity to improve on what you have and share it here. That’s what this is all about!

Back