• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Excited to buy first Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All - I am new to this forum. I am considering buying my first Parker which is 2005 2120 Yamaha 200 4-stroke. I need couple of questions which need your help on. The engine has roughly 1200 hours and includes all bells and whistles (radar, couple of fishfinders, Headlight with joystick control etc.) the price is around $27K. Can you let me know if this is a fair price for this boat? Also, I will do a compression check and demo ride with it and show it to mechanic. Not sure if you suggest anything else to be performed. What is your experience of this engine? Is there bad track record of these engines that I should be aware of? And lastly, what is the expected hours you can get out of these engines (of course assuming proper maintenance) Any help would be greatly appreciated...

That is a GREAT hull. The motor has one known historical potentially catastrophic issue: Dry exhaust corrosion: From 2002 to 2012 Yamaha 150's, 200's, 225's and 250's have a dry exhaust issue in some of the motors ( a lot of the motors).
The best Prepurchase inspection you can legitametly do is to have your Yamaha tech bore scope the exhaust: he'll have to drop the lower unit, thread a scope up towards the powerhead and look for signs of corrosion.
The mitigation kit installed is about $2000 but there are other preventative replacements that should be done at the same time: Budget $2500 for this mitigation / maintenance IF and this is a big fat IF the corrosion hasn't made it's way to the power head:when that happens, you are are looking at a repower.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a boat w/ that year motors as the problem is that wide spread. Unless you can buy the boat for a steal with either re power on the books or a thorough Prepurchase inspection reveals this isn't one of the dreaded exhaust corrosion motors.

anyways, my .02....

Thanks this is great information and I checked with the seller who said he switched to new system 3 years ago which cost him about $4K. I am asking for paperwork to verify. But do you think surveyor can verify this or do I have to have a Yamaha tech to check it out?
One additional thing that seller also mentioned that he had the powerhead fixed last month. So I assume at some point the corrosion made its way to the powerhead???? Should I still be concerned whether the powerhead can be toast?
I think I am answering my own questions but I dont think the price is not a steal from that perspective?? Let me know your thoughts

Back