Filling large holes on center console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punk Freud

Reaction score
I need to move my VHF from the center console to a T-top electronics box.
Any suggestions on how I can fill the cutout that will be left behind?

I already have a quart of Parker gelcoat for minor repairs.
Will I need to do glasswork inside the console to support the gelcoat?
What options do I have?

Consider mounting something else in the empty space or blank it off, as options to doing fiberglas work.

Dana

I'm no fiberglass expert by any means... but I read ClassicMako everyday. 8)
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/default.asp

Essentially what you want to do is to cut a plywood 'plug' to fit the hole (it doesn't have to be tight), soak it down in West Systems epoxy, then position it in the opening with a couple of backing boards in the rear to position it.

Fill the gaps with more thickened epoxy using microbaloons or kitty hair and a layer or two of fiberglass, then sand and fair... sand and fair... until everything is smooth.

Once the prep is done and the surface is perfect, gelcoat it over and you'll never know the hole was there!

Hopefully some of the fiberglass pros here will chime in, but the process isn't difficult. Time consuming (to get perfect) maybe, but not rocket science.

Good luck!

See that? I told you there were people here smarter than me when it comes to this stuff!

Thanks Brian! :D

Yikes, soooo much work to get it done corectly!

dcunniff, the problem is the previous owner mounted the VHF under the throtle :roll: so at WOT the throttle handle changes the radio channel.
I don't want to leave it open or blank it.

I like the thoroughness of that plug work. Thanks for the heads up.
That's probably the root I'll go, unless....
I can adjust the thottle range of motion to avoid hitting the radio controls???
Is that possible? Could I adjust the throtle cable or throtle to limit/reset
where the throttle range of motion stops and starts?
Can I save myself a few days of redesigning and use it to go fishing instead?

gw204":1r24xe0d said:
What Megabyte said....now if we can just get B-Faithful to realize the value in knowing this crap. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It won't be easy. He still thinks the ultimate outboard technology decended from a weedeater. :wink:

Back to your console area. You could put down an area of Starboard or similar and cover holes. Maybe trim out with some outside angle of teak.

FishFactory":9cmfjz46 said:
gw204":9cmfjz46 said:
What Megabyte said....now if we can just get B-Faithful to realize the value in knowing this crap. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It won't be easy. He still thinks the ultimate outboard technology decended from a weedeater. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :p

That is why I like 2 strokes. I refuse to do work on my boat other than clean it (once in a while :p ). There are people who do that kinda stuff for a living. I would rather use my boat than work on it. (too bad I have only been on my boat twice since June and havent made a real fishing trip since the beginning of June :cry: )

Back