First impressions of my repower with Suzuki

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
I recently repowered my 2015 2520XLD with a Suzuki DF 300APXX (30"). It replaced my Yamaha F300UCA. This engine pushes my boat better than the Yami ever did. I still don't have the ideal prop as the dealer first put on a 3x16x18.5 watergrip prop but it only made 5200. He wanted to then use a 3x16x17 but only had a 3x151/2x17 to get me back in the water until the new prop showed up. I just finished my 10 hour break in and my numbers have greatly improved over the Yami. Seems like the sweet spot right now with this prop is 5200 rpm which gives me 30-32 mph and a 2.1 mpg fuel burn. I am very happy so far and if anyone is in the same situation I suggest you pull that trigger and go for it. 17 months later the Yamaha that was ordered still has yet to arrive and I think it will never happen, especially after this hurricane has come through. I sold the Yami with all the rigging for 8k which had 2285 hrs. I will update as I go along, especially after I get the 16x17 prop strapped on.

This is great info and thanks for sharing.
Maybe try calling Ken at prop gods for his input on getting dialed in on the rite prop?

Just curious on the noise in the cabin.

My Yamaha 300 on a 2320. I get some “reverb” or drone in the cabin at 4100 RPM.

Have you noticed that?

Just so Others know........Suzuki is a different gear ratio......It has the Lowest gear ratio on the market.....With that it Swings a Bigger prop.

Think of it as Bigger tires for better traction.

" 5200 rpm which gives me 30-32 mph and a 2.1 mpg fuel burn"

5200 seems high, no??
Yes I felt it was high as well. I had my 20 hour service done last week and they changed my prop to a 3x16x17 Watergrip. This prop did well with my hull. 43-4400 I was doing 28 mph and burning 12.6 gph. I was able to turn 58-5900 wot so I think I am in a good zone now. I spoke to Ken and the only other prop he suggested was the Mercury Enertia Eco 3x16x17 which was 840 + you have to buy hub for another 45 dollars. I will probably just get another Watergrip, same size as my spare. I am really starting to love this engine so far, it pushes my ride better than the Yami ever did, and more economically

You keep saying " Watergrip ". I had to look that up........It's new wording Suzzy hung on their props.

It "used" to be that people that didn't know would try and hang a aftermarket prop on a Suzzy.....Problem was....Those aftermarket units were not 16in dia..... [for the Big engines] And why I always suggest a OEM Suzzy prop. In the case of the DF-90A I had....It would swing a 14in, while all the others were swinging a smaller dia........It's all in the gearing...and theothers are not geared as low as Suzzy.

Yes I felt it was high as well. I had my 20 hour service done last week and they changed my prop to a 3x16x17 Watergrip. This prop did well with my hull. 43-4400 I was doing 28 mph and burning 12.6 gph. I was able to turn 58-5900 wot so I think I am in a good zone now. I spoke to Ken and the only other prop he suggested was the Mercury Enertia Eco 3x16x17 which was 840 + you have to buy hub for another 45 dollars. I will probably just get another Watergrip, same size as my spare. I am really starting to love this engine so far, it pushes my ride better than the Yami ever did, and more economically
This place has good prices on Suzuki Watergrips.

https://suzukioutboardmarine.com/product/suzuki-watergrip-stainless-steel-propeller/

Attachments

• B0E804F7-9D08-48DB-AAE3-3E7645DC1B04.jpeg
    B0E804F7-9D08-48DB-AAE3-3E7645DC1B04.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Have you noticed that?
I can help u with cabin harmonics. Do u have bracket? If so.. line inside tub with sound deadening material. Find at audio supply house. Then buy piece of 1/4 conveyer belt material and put between motormount and bracket. Noise will be gone..

Reactions: A-K
You keep saying " Watergrip ". I had to look that up........It's new wording Suzzy hung on their props.

It "used" to be that people that didn't know would try and hang a aftermarket prop on a Suzzy.....Problem was....Those aftermarket units were not 16in dia..... [for the Big engines] And why I always suggest a OEM Suzzy prop. In the case of the DF-90A I had....It would swing a 14in, while all the others were swinging a smaller dia........It's all in the gearing...and theothers are not geared as low as Suzzy.
It seems they came out with the Watergrip name in 2018 after changing up the hub due to spun props. Going forward after 2018 all their Watergrips have the hub that can be pressed in without a machine. Since my numbers are really good with the zuk prop will get same one as backup. The Mercury is 300 more and cost doesn't equal improvement

I can help u with cabin harmonics. Do u have bracket? If so.. line inside tub with sound deadening material. Find at audio supply house. Then buy piece of 1/4 conveyer belt material and put between motormount and bracket. Noise will be gone..
Maybe this is a subject for another thread, but I would like to know more. I also have some pretty bad harmonics/ drone w/ my 300 uca. Am I understanding correctly that you put something inside the bracket cavity itself? What was it and how did do that as I only have a medium size inspection plate in mine?

Well I am 93 hours in now and very satisfied with the new Zuk. Been getting 2.1 mpg which is a good improvement over the Yami. A couple more trip and my season will be over

Have you noticed that?
I had bad prop chatter with the yami, it used to drive me insane, surprisingly this doesn't happen anymore, the rattling is gone. The only time I get a little noise is when it is just in reverse gear at idle speed, as soon as I just give it hair more throttle the noise is gone. I am hauling out tomorrow and finished with 112 hours. Can't wait for next season to hit the canyons hunting for tuna etc

Maybe this is a subject for another thread, but I would like to know more. I also have some pretty bad harmonics/ drone w/ my 300 uca. Am I understanding correctly that you put something inside the bracket cavity itself? What was it and how did do that as I only have a medium size inspection plate in mine?
Dynamat from amazon. Peel and stick sound deadener. Put inside of tub on walls. Then 1/4 in. Conveyer belt material between motor and bracket.

Have had my 89 2520 MV for about a month or so now. It sports a 2021 Suzuki 300 APX(?) 30" as well on the notched transom with now 249 hours (235 when I got her). I dont have the numbers in my head other that it has a decent cruise at 32mph and WOT at 41mph/5200rpm which in my book is hauling butt in a 25 foot pilot house. I am also pretty sure I may have another 5-600 rpm available in there somewhere with a different prop.

Noise is quite tolerable although I do experience some cabin reverb on the back pilot house wall at midrange/cruise. I think when I hard mount my throwable ring on the exterior wall this will go away. If not some foil sound padding might be applied.

Its a new boat to me after about 5 years without a boat. Cancer and health issues got me out of the charter business but last boat had Suzuki 250 and I was glad to see a Suzuki on the back of this one when I found it.

Pulled her off my dock right before Christmas to do some mods/maintenance on her to get her ready for January Stripers on the Chesapeake bay and Va Beach Oceanfront if they show up this year or Ill wait till spring to splash her again.

On the short list for upgrades are installing a Minnkota 112/87" Terranova with I-Pilot slaved to a Hummingbird to get Spot-Loc and closing in the transom and adding a twin sized single engine Stainless Marine bracket. Curious to see what kind of numbers that will generate.

I like that term, "lugging" and the conversations it creates.
Anyway, it sounds like the prop is pitched too high.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back