First trip of the year -- two minor problems

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A. Veil

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my Parker out of winter storage for its first trip of the year. I don't own a trailer, so I have my Parker dealer winterize the boat and put it on blocks for the winter. This spring, I waited too long to ask for a launch date so I had to settle for the first weekend in May.

The dealer had the boat tied up at a nearby marina. I reinstalled the electronics, stowed some gear and took off. The first 10 minutes were a long ride through a 6 mph zone. When I finally hit open water, I sped up and immediately heard a rythmic banging sound from the stern that I have never heard before with this boat. I slowed down 3 times and checked all the storage bins to see if anything was loose and banging around. That was not the problem. I turned the engine off and took the cowling off, thinking that perhaps the mechanic had left a wrench inside. That was not the problem either.

Finally, as I replaced the cowling, I looked on the back side of the transom and saw the the transducer had broken loose from its mount (undoubtedly during servicing or launching by the dealer). It was hanging by its cable, which was fastened about a foot up the transom by a screw fastener. Once my speed picked up, the transducer behaved like a pendulum that banged each time it hit the hull.

I was able to slide the loose cable up through several screw fasteners so that the transducer did not bang anymore. However, in this position, I could not get a bottom signal. Fortunately, I had left the GPS track from my final trip to the marina last December on the machine. I just followed my previous track in reverse to make sure I did not get in too shallow.

I returned to the boat today and quickly repaired the broken transducer bracket (easily done on a boat lift but no possible on the water).

I was a bit perturbed by that event. :x I didn't notice the second issue until I had reached my dock 50 minutes later. I have a live well beneath the leaning post. I never use it as a live well -- instead it is a storage bin. In addition to things like brushes, rags, bait dishes, and a cutting board, I had 4 Plano tackle trays plus a rain suit in the bin yesterday. Upon reaching the dock, I noticed that the live well was filled to the brim with water. I never touch the live well pump switch intentionally. Yesterday I must have bumped the switch accidentally. In any case, the well was not draining because a plastic lid from a bait dish had completely blocked the drainhole. :evil:

I had to remove all the items from the live well, clear the plastic from the drainhole, turn on the drain pump, then reload the gear. The rain suit and tackle trays had to be taken home for freshwater rinsing and drying.

I hope that these two minor but annoying events willl satiate Murphy for a while and I can have some issue-free boating for a while.

It's always something. Having a long history in Naval aviation, I actually have a checklist. The first mate has one too (aka the Admiral).

I always stick my head in the bilge to check the integrity of the plumbing/hoses and touch all the connections to check for looseness. Also check electrical connections for looseness or corrosion. I exercise the seacock handle. Check the drain plug, and turn on the battery. Then install my Garmin display, insert ignition key, check gas level, and check all switches.

The admiral checks the drain plug too, makes sure I have the boat hooked up (to include safety chain) at the bow eye and that the trailer is plugged into the truck. She asks if we have the dock lines. Finally, she asks me if the key and pee bucket are in the boat.

Have I ever royally screwed up. Yep. Like you, it also involved the transducer. Brand new 28 foot boat w/twin f225s with a newly installed thru hull tranducer. The transducer was the kind that inserts and locks into the bronze housing. Well, locking the transducer into the housing was not on the checklist. Essentially had a 2 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the boat without the transducer inserted. Launched the boat at the ramp so I could make some adjustments to the trailer bunks in the parking lot (week day in the late afternoon). The Admiral decides to call some of her friends to see the new boat and listen to the new marine stereo.

After two hours of being tied to the dock, the boat was sitting kind of low in the rear.......but there were 5 people onboard too. Did get the boat on the trailer, but the truck couldn't budge the boat.....just sat there and spun the tires. Hooked another truck up to my truck and managed to get the boat out of the water. Once the stern cleared, water poured out the transducer hole for about 20 minutes.

Of course there were about 5 million questions from the Admiral who thought maybe I just needed a bigger truck.......but of course honey. 8)

Back