Fish Finder Transducer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Burns

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 700 GPS & Fish Finder on my 2013-2120SC, with a transducer mounted inside the hull. I have been advised by a number of charter captains that a transom mounted transducer would give me better and clearer fish finder info.

Not wanting to change the transducer, I have just purchased a dedicated Garmin Echo 551C fish finder. I wanted a separate fish finder anyway so when I am going offshore I can leave the GPS in full screen, yet still scan under the boat for fish.

My question now is where do I mount the transducer. Instructions say as close to the boat center line as possible but away from engine and of course out of the way of trailer bed supports. Oh yes, the transducer should protrude 1/8 of an inch below the hull

Anyone have more specific info or pictures of where I should mount the transducer?

Thanks in advance

John

Yep..... Airmar makes the X-ducer.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... 247-03.pdf

But if it was me.....It would have a B-60 tilted Element installed.

By the way....That Echo unit.....It's a cheap entry level unit....One of it's quirks that I've discovered.....If the X-ducer is not making a connection...It will default to the Demo mode.

This was strange to me and I ran across it on a guys boat at the marina that was having trouble.

Normally a unit can be switched between actual working mode and Demo mode via the menu. This one had no way to make that switch. Unpluging the X-ducer and repluging made the fix.

Thanks for the info. the instructions you referenced from the transducer manufacturer are far superior to the ones in the package with the fish finder. { feel much more confident now attacking the installation. By the way I see your author name is Warthog 5, were you associated with the A-10 aircraft?

Stick'em Up

16-12-2002-9-3-a10_spline400.jpg

Nice picture Warthog5!

The A-10 is my favorite aircraft, might be because I was in charge of Quality at Fairchild Republic when we built the the A-10. One of my favorite jobs

Back