Fish Trivia

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damandan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what kind of fish this is?

0929001744b.jpg

0929001744c.jpg

I live on cape cod and came way up in a saltwater pond at high tide and it was filled with these guys. They were so thick I could just pull a jig through them and snag them. Looks like some kind of warm water fish with their yellow tails but something I've never seen before. I thought maybe a mullet of some sort?

Here is some more pics of the water. They were making quite a stir
0929001740b.jpg

0929001739a.jpg

It appears to be a type of manhaden--- sometimes called an L-Y, bunker etc. Common names are ussually confusing. Many toothy critters love to eat then. They are used in the manufacture of many products from dog food to make-up. Ussually processed for their oil.

Ah so thats what they are. The yellow tail threw me for a loop. These guys must be full grown adults. I couldn't tell if they were really small or really big. Didn't see any stripers chasing them unfortunately. Thanks for the help!

now you just need to close off that salt pond and you will have bait for the fall season! I would not say they are full grown. They can get a lot bigger then the one you are holding.

Pogie or menhaden. Next time snag those up, then live line them around your favorite striper spot and it'll be a party!
You can also chunk bait them too and chum a bunch of chunks too.
You have found the bait shop via mother nature, have fun :mrgreen:

Back