Fishing Line in my Prop

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of damage I may have sustained due to fishing line wrapping around my prop. It was enough line to stall the motor and it was then stuck in gear. I jumped in and cut out all the line I could - it was about 1/4 inch thick and the prop wouldn't move. After I cut it out everything seemed to be fine, and I made the 20 mile trip back to the ramp. Now I just want to make sure nothing is damaged - what should I be looking for?

Have you removed the prop? Now it sounds like you caught it in time, meaning - it immediately stalled out your motor. What can happen is that a bit gets in there, not enough to stall the motor, but enough to start cutting away the propshaft seals.

I'd remove the prop, assure yourself none got between the thrust washer and p'shaft seal. Look for any evidence of scarring or wear.

If all seems OK, keep an eye on your L/U fluid, checking it to make sure it is clear and not milky-colored which would indicate the presence of water. Most gearcases nowadays use the UPF or ultra-performance hypoid formulation which is alleged to still protect the gears even when staturated with up to 25% water.

Otherwise, you'd need to remove the L/U and have it pressure tested, which I don't believe (best I can ascertain via cyber-space) is warranted ... but do what YOU need to, to be comfortable.

Fishing line?

Look at what I saw on a Grady in December of last year. I don't think the owner even knew... :D

DSCN0017.JPG

Latest posts

Back