Floscan

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffcoon

Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing a floscan or lowrance fuel flow unit that tells me what Im burning per hour and keeps track of total gallons burned. I can get the unit and the install for about $700. (I understand that it's not overly difficult but I'd rather pay someone for this one...I'll stick to epoxy work and oil changes.) I'm running a 1994 21' cc with a 2007 Yahama 150, 4-stroke that has less than a hundred hours on it. I understand that these flow flow units can help you to really dial in your fuel economy...which is key when the blue fin are 30 miles offshore like they are right now in San Diego. Any opinions on the proposed units, or just the idea of getting one installed will be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have the Yamaha Fuel management guages and find it very useful, and just replaced the sending (paddle wheel) unit for $260. I thought it was pricey :shock: but the display guage was fine. The unit has wire screens and potential source of clogging and fuel restriction. It is installed on the fuel line after the Racor filter to avoid clogging.

If you are buying or upgrading your GPS/Chartplotter/FF, some units lets you add a fuel flow meter and data is displayed on the screen.

I would look something in print stating the fuel flow unit is rated for gasohol

m2cw

Whichever way you go, a fuel flow computer is like money in the bank on any boat.

The one I have is a very simple round one (no longer produced) that fits in a 2" hole at the helm.
It shows me total fuel (I set it to 120 gals when I fill up)
It shows fuel used (which I reset to 0 after a fill-up)
It has a low fuel alarm (which I set to 20 gals)
and it gives me gallons per hour being used when running.

The GPH setting is the most useful as motor trim and trim tabs can be tweaked for the most efficient burn when running.

Mine came with the fuel transducer.
Installation was as simple a cutting the fuel line, installing the transducer, and tightening the clamps.
The transducer came with a single wire attached which I ran under my starboard side washboard with all the other wiring.
Attach the transducer cable to the gage, attach the power wire and you're done.

$700 sounds like a lot of money for the unit with installation, but the unit you are looking at is probably more sophisticated than mine.
I do agree with Brent. The Yamaha fuel management is pretty slick.
Also, if your GPS supports fuel management, all you'll need is the transducer and some screen configuration.

Whatever route you choose, you will find yourself referring to that fuel readout a lot!
Good luck!

As always, the replys on this site are much appreciate! They have made me think about what I do have on the boat. My old partner (I bought him out) had the 07 Yamaha installed in 09 and was given all new new instruments, shifter and ignition when the intall was done. Not that the old stuff was bad, he just had a connection with someone at Yamaha. (He owns a long range boat and Yamaha does a 5 day trip every year.) The guage indicates "flow" but it doesn't work at all and never really has. Perhaps before I throw down the 700 bucks I should have a Yamaha teck take a look to see what's going on. I take it from the replys that the Yamaha fuel flow system is fairly well regarded? Thanks again!

How many gallons of fuel do you hold? 30 miles doesn't sound too far for a 21. You wouldn't do it if it was to snotty would you? If you want to buy piece of mind thats a different story, I have a 2009 2120 with a 150 and fuel management gauges with 100 gallon tank and carrying enough fuel to go 70 miles round trip is the last thing on my mind. Loaded up I burn just under 10 gph and on a lite load 9 gph. Rough seas, 10-12gph. Still plenty of range. I never ran my tank dry but assume useable fuel is closer to 90-95 gallons and at a conservative estimate of 1.5 miles per gallon that puts me at 135 miles. 30 miles sounds like an easy run. Good luck. Ps when your engine is humming and not whinning your dialed in, you wont need an electronic device to tell you, it will only confirm what you already know.

Back