Flounder Fishing and my MTK reel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mildew2

Reaction score
Recieved my MTK reel ZR 802-15W from Bret's (Reely-Nauties)company a short while back. I paired it up with a Diawa 6.5 ft.
Jigging Rod. My brother and I put in on Del. side of the bay but fished on the N.J. side.
We had fish most of the day. Everyone else did also. There were at least 50 boats near us
N.Jersey headboats and six packs everywhere. This reel is the smoothest operating reel I have ever owned. It is light weight with a power handle and a 6:1 ratio. Pictured are two of our keepers 23 and 24 inches. What a great day on the bay. My brother since has also purchased the same reel. Mine left-handed his is right-handed. We have caught Flounder,Stripers,Croaker,Sea Bass,Porgies and Tog on these same rod and reel combos. We like the MTK's more everytime we use them. What a great product. Hopefully more fish pictures to come...

? would use that combo for grouper/grunt. what line do you use? A friend of mine want's to buy a combo $350-$500 range any suggestions
He want's a high speed reel and a 6' rod
Thanks Walt

This combo with the Montauk ZR802-15W (around $200+)with the Diawa 6'or 6.5' jigging rod
(around $119) is a fantastic outfit. Reel is 6:1 gear ratio..I use a bottom shot of 30lb. mono and top it with 30 lb. Power Pro. The power grip ,power handle matches up great with the 6:1 gear ratio. This is all the rod and reel your friend or you would need for years to come. If you
are fishing deep drops for the grouper you might want the ZR802-18W it holds 850 yds. of 40# braid. Good luck with whatever outfit you choose but I would look toward
Montaukfishinggear.com for a well built, resonably priced reel with a very good warrenty.

Nice pair of flounder! :mrgreen:

Our best this year is a 23" that went just under 5lbs.

Favorite flounder rig right now is my St Croix Tidemaster and Cardiff. Giving thought to swapping for an Abu 5601C4 or similar as my wifes 5601C3 is a much smoother reel than the Cardiff.

Dave,

Those are some real nice doormats you have there...

Glad to see you're 1801 is doing well..

See ya,

Kevin M5

Back