Forward or aft tilted radar mount?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing all my electronics and need to purchase the radar mount.
I like the looks of the 20 degree Aft mount but notice that most Parker owners are using the forward tilted one.
BTW, I have a 2007 2520 XL.

Is there better performance using one or the other?
Do the cable chases on the newer Parkers dictate one being used over the other?
Is there a functional difference between the two?

Thanks!

I suspect the choice of forward canting or aft canting the base is one that your eye should make for your boat. I picked this one (about 1/3 down the page under greatcir):

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

The only important item is that the radar (array or dome) be horizontal when running or at least as best we can so my plate is tipped forward at the top of the mount so my dome is fairly horizontal on plane.

My wire run was aft down the roof raceway center line then to starboard then down into the cabin and forward to the display. I could have purchased an extension cable if I were cable short, but on my 2120 it made the reach and was easy to pull. I have no cables showing inside the cabin. ..............Pete

greatcir":3g8x0tz6 said:
I have no cables showing inside the cabin. ..............Pete

Is your display attached to the roof? Not sure how you could otherwise not have any cables showing. Would love to see a pic of that install.

About a third of the way down the page below you can see the built up area under my 2007 2120 roof right under the radar mount.

It is a hollow wire run that goes aft down the center of the roof then crosses the roof to port and to starboard (see it under the hailer too).

It was easy with the fibergalssed wire run to remove the ceiling light in the cabin, pull the radar wire down and feed it aft in the wire run. a small round access cover is right under the anchor light so easy to remove it and feed the radar wire to the starboard aft roof edge. See about a third of the way down the page on my post:

Parker made it convenient to thus get the radar wire all the way to the console (see my thumbnail console photo here) without sight exposure

See my console about a third of the way down page one at:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... afa48715a5

Maybe you do not have the roof wire run? Not sure what year it started and on which models........................Pete

GW, I've got the same chase. I see what you did. You came back and then forward. Good Idea as I think those radar wires are pretty thick.

I'm going to run it just like you did when I install the radar. Great pics. Thanks.

Hey TunaJoe,

I don't know about the rear mount, but you don't need more than 5 degree tilt for forward depending on your radar. I just had a custom mount made for our boat and posted it under a spotlight forum topic, but thought I would repost in case you had the same idea... makes a nice mount, but you don't have to drill all of the holes in the roof. One thing you want to keep in mind.. do you actually need your radar more when your on plane, or when you are going really slow off plane and in the fog?

radartower2_799.jpg

Mount is 12" tall off rooftop and remote lights are wired internally:

radartower1_889.jpg

Don't mind the bugs... I have to wash my boat.. I know :roll:

UnWired":14a04d78 said:
One thing you want to keep in mind.. do you actually need your radar more when your on plane, or when you are going really slow off plane and in the fog?

the way i look at it is, if the radar is even with the horizon at plane, youll be able to use the radar to look for birds, storms, etc while running normally, as well as running quickly at night (if you do that, i dont), and when the boats off plane, the radar will still function, it'll just be pointed down towards the water a bit in front of the boat, which is ok because you really dont need to see much more than a mile in front of you, as youre probably going to be going slow enough with the radar on high enough gain to for a mile to be plenty of notice if somethings in the way. just my thoughts, mines actually mounted flat on the pilothouse right now, but we'll have it wedged or on a mount before the start of the season

Thanks for everyones replies!

Ok, I checked Scanstrut's website and they say that the aft tilted model is for open array models and the forward leaning post is for radome radars.

You learn something new everyday!
Looks like I'll be getting a forward tilted one sine I have a radome.
Thanks again!

Unwired:

I see you have your GPS antenna mounted at a height below your radar. I've read some posts where the implication is that your radar will interfere with your GPS signal. Have you found that to be true?

Hello T.O.L.

Well, I can't honestly answer that question yet.. we just put it up on the roof. It sits back behind the radar and has a clear view of the sky in most directions.. and there are now 2 antennas up there, primary and a backup on a 2nd chartplotter in the boat.

We were considering making an extension bracket that would fit behind the radar, but I'll have to test it out first. The boat is stored in a metal building and it's almost impossible to get a good signal inside... so we may be changing that. I'll let you know the results as soon as I find out. But, the GPS antenna sits about 8" behind the radome and the radome is plastic except for the electronics inside.. so, it's got a clearer view of the sky than our old unit.. Update to follow.

TOL

are you saying yhat the GPS receiver should not be mounted close to the radome? I was going to mount mine between the radome and the rocket launchers so I could utilize the wire chase.

TunaJoe":2s2epz8r said:
Ok, I checked Scanstrut's website and they say that the aft tilted model is for open array models and the forward leaning post is for radome radars.

Yep. That keeps the 3'6" open array back over the top of the pilothouse instead of swinging out over the front windshield.
That could be very distracting to the boat operator! :D

TunaJoe":1s2f5q55 said:
are you saying yhat the GPS receiver should not be mounted close to the radome? I was going to mount mine between the radome and the rocket launchers so I could utilize the wire chase.

The GPS antenna should not be mounted in-line with the beam of the radome antenna.
Above or below the beam is fine. :wink:

Back