Found crack on deck !

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

Reaction score
:shock: OK OK :shock:

Was washing my deck today and found two small cracks
Not near any cut outs or edges
I dont think I dropped anything excessively heavy on the area
All though I do dive the boat alot its a 2003 2120
I would think with the dri-deck on it all the time it would cushion any moderate blows
It seems hard and solid
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it

Attachments

• Crack deck.JPG
    Crack deck.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Crack.JPG
    Crack.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,289
I have a few of those in a couple of spots. I just thought it was stress.

I'd like to hear more.

Steve

I have a few on my deck as well, 1999 21'.

On the slightly wider ones I have sanded the edges a bit and drizzled some penetrating epoxy in there, not sure if it did anything but..

-- Tom

I might be wrong but..
If the gel-coat is cracked due to flexing..If that's what it is
The deck still should be fine if the plywood is resined underneath ?
Isn't that right ? :roll:

Bought my first Parker less than a week ago- didn't notice during sea trial but did notice when detailing it at home after, that I have the same two cracks in the same place on my 2003 2120. REALLY hoping its nothing to fret over. Floor still seems as solid as a rock around it... Thinking I'll just epoxy it and pray for the best! Boat and motor have 46 orig hrs on the water.

Think marine tex would be good to use? or 4200/5200?

When I was getting my bottom redone I had the fiberglass guy look at a couple on my deck just like that. He said they were nothing to worry about and if it was his boat he wouldn't even fix them. He told me if you can't stick your finger nail into it then don't fix them, also said every boat will get some.

Mine have been like that for 4 years. Since I keep it in a building when not in use I wasn't really worried. If it were to stay outside I may have had them fixed. I plan to redo the entire non-skid sometime in the future but not in a big hurry.

Steve

Mine did this also. I spoke to Eric at Parker and he said that this can happen if the hull flexes enough but not to worry-it does not signify any type of hull problem. He did recommend sealing it with 5200 at the least.

Seal with 5200 ?
I would think that would look like crap..
I could see making it a little wider 1/8 or so and fill with new gel-coat
Maybe some thin resin first
I would think that would be just as good or better?? :roll:
I haven't addressed mine yet but its on the list for spring

When I re-did my bilge with new pumps and switches years ago, I filled the old holes in the pad with 5200.
Doesn't look great, but it's in the bilge so I'm not too concerned. It did work tho. :)

Sorry Guys let me clarify. At first Eric told me that if I wished to fix it properly he would supply the glass and gelcoat etc. to me free of charge for my out of warranty hull. OR I could put some 5200 over the crack. The 5200 worked for me because it was an extremely narrow gap. I apologize for not stating the gist of the entire conversation.

warthog5":eh7np0v4 said:
Seal with 5200 ?
I would think that would look like crap..

Agreed.

Penetrating epoxy thru a hypodermic syringe and needle.
Thumbs up on this. Ive lived by this method using West Sytems. And, if the crack has opened to the point where it will absorb any significiant amount, I'll cut the epoxy with MEK and let loose...

Back